Leasing vs Buying, what about when the lease price is this low?

So is $99 lease on a $11k car good?

11,000 / 60 = $189 per month for 5 years

$99 * 36 = $3600

If you buy a new car every 5 years…then that deal MIGHT be good. But you’re making the assumption that in 3 years you can get the same deal on the same vehicle. Where you live they don’t have inflation? Car prices don’t go up where you live?

And why do you need to buy a new car after 5 years? What’s wrong with keeping it 10 years. Especially since you put so few files on the car. Now those $189 car payments STOP after 5 years. $0 car payments for the next 5.

Yup…you’re not good at math.

If you are interested, get a copy of the lease to review and look at it very carefully. Some manufacturers have had great leases in the past, like Chevrolet in the first year for the Volt. Read the contract carefully, extract all the costs and when they are due, and then come back if you need more help.

just try and walk in one of the dealerships that have advertised the 0 down $99 lease and see if you can actually get that price. Chances are this is just an ad to get you in. Next thing you know, you have to pay $2K down and $200 per month. Or maybe there is a balloon payment at the end of the lease.

I recently tried to buy a car based on the truecar quote and even after finalizing the deal over e-mail and phone they would increase the price on me for whatever reason, so I had to walk out 3 times and eventually gave up.

Sounds too good to be true. Like the furniture stores offering 5 years interest free financing the fine print can get expensive.

You could always pay more and increase the yearly mileage,I suppose.

I think this will depend to your decision. There are advantages and disadvantages between buying and leasing. You must need to know it before you choose. In my situation, I choose to lease because it only requires me to pay small upfront payment. Even if I am paying for it monthly, I can handle it because I have a stable job. Also, another advantage is I have the chance to upgrade my lease to the newest model every couple of years. Also, take note that there are different rules in every It was all the reasons why I choose to lease than buy a new car. I hope this will help you here.

If you managed your money better then buying will save you more money long term over leasing. You say low payments.,…well how about NO payments. Buy a car and keep it for 8-10 years. With a 4 year loan that’s 4-6 years of no payments.

2 Likes

Don’t you think the OP would have made a decision by now a year later.

I agree with you here. But like what I said, we have different situation. I just being wise enough because I don’t want to keep the vehicle for a long time. I have the attitude that when I used already the thing, I’m just getting bored on it, so either I gave it or sell it, and then look again for something new that will give me again another excitement and happiness. I will go for leasing because maybe after 1, 2 or 3 years, I will want another new model or car make. So, on that case, I think I will choose leasing. Another thing that will make me sure about leasing is that choosing the dealer or the agent well. :slight_smile:

Su8re…if you get the itch then leasing may be better…but your first argument about leasing was financial…and leasing is NEVER better financially unless you own a company and can depreciate the vehicle.

Do we have another shill spamming forums such as this?

I removed the plug for the leasing company which shall not be named. :wink:

2 Likes

More and more I try to tell people to just be honest with themselves. If having a two year old car makes you happy and you don’t care about the cost, just say that. There is nothing wrong with deciding to spend more money just to be happy and avoid the hassle of trading cars. Don’t try to justify it though and just accept that the money doesn’t matter.

Some people will never understand and accept spending more money to be happy and avoid hassles, but that’s their problem. Money is there to spend in whatever way you want.

On the radio last night someone from Florida called in and said they just bought a new purse. The host asked how much it was and she said 1250. He said is that twelve dollars, twelve thousand, or what and she admitted it was $1250.00. Now I can never understand what makes a purse worth that but she said it was very nice. More power to her. I’m not going to tell my wife but then she buys shoes and not purses. Hey a little less than a set of tires cost me.

I leased a 1996 Mazda Miata for a penny down and $199 per month. It put a big smile on my face every time I got behind the wheel for 36 months. I put as many miles on the car just having fun as going from point A to B. It was well worth it.

When turning in a car at the end of a lease and the dealer looks over the car for the post-lease inspection, how often do they determine that the little things “worn or dinged” on your car are more than “wear and tear”? It’s an opportunity for them to pocked a little more money from your lease.

Our civic is 200/mo. Zero down. Tax title included. Another dealer had Sentra for 159/mo. Plus fees. What fees? He said u must pay all tax, 36months X 7.5% upfront plus license and so on. It almost 2000 due at signing. So, 2000/36 mo is $50+ each month or 159+50 = 209 approx?

No offense but I don’t think Anthony is a personal finance counselor. Those are precisely reasons why you would not lease a car.

3 Likes

@cdaquila The leasing company if back.

NOTICE: This company is using all kinds of posts to plug their leasing company on auto forums. Carolyn has removed several in the last few weeks. Help her by flagging the above post.

2 Likes

Here’s another company everyone reading this should avoid. When a company like DSR leasing has to stoop to this deceptive advertising is not a company to be trusted and should be avoided at all cost.

3 Likes

Pay this blog ? This is an forum and advertising is not allowed , that even points to the fact that you can’t go by rules. The last I heard that the advertising was handled by NPR.

3 Likes