Leaking h2o from timing belt?

Recently I had the waterpump on my 1994 Mazda B3000 pickup replaced; almost immediately I could smell radiator fluid when I drove. 2 weeks later I noticed water on top of the pump, looking like it’s coming from the waterpump gasket. But the garage insists it’s actually coming from the timing belt gasket and wants 700 bucks to replace it. Why would water come from the timing belt? Is my engine ignorance showing, or are they trying to scam me?

I can’t see it from here.

If I were you, I’d get a second opinion.

I know that each time I get a new timing belt I have to replace my leaky crank shaft oil seal. Perhaps there is a similar seal inside the timing belt housing that is leaking coolant? I don’t know if there is such a seal inside the timing belt housing on a 1994 Mazda. You will need to take it in for a second opinion, maybe even at a Mazda dealer.

I believe that engine has a timing chain and coolant passes through the cast aluminum cover from the block to the water pump. So the gasket between the block and timing chain cover could be leaking but you should get a second opinion.