Lanes with no signs

There is a lane (I will call this lane A, since there are no signs) with a traffic light. After the traffic light is green lane A continues forward, but another lane (I will call A1) opens on the left of lane A (these two lanes helps drivers turn left onto a highway) with a traffic light. These lanes are short, so I believe that is why there are two lanes.

Here is the situation: After sitting in lane A and the light turns green, must the driver merge into A1or is it okay if the driver continues on in lane A. I ask this because the drivers to the right of lane A at the first light, before the two lanes, (I will call lane B), can go straight and they also have dashes to allow them to move into lane A. So drivers in lane B automatically push into lane A, assuming they can just merge over and expect the driver in lane A to move into lane A1. No signs or paint on the road for directions.

So if you were the 6th driver back and the drivers in front of you all went into the lane A1 and the drivers in lane B took lane A (this is how short these lanes are from the two traffic lights), you would still be sitting at a green light. So my question is: Is this fair?? Must the driver in lane A move into lane A1 to allow drivers in lane B to go into lane A. Or should the driver of lane A all continue forward, so the rest of the drivers behind can move into lane A1 when lane A gets full?

Even if all the drivers in lane A move into lane A1, the drivers in lane A are stuck and want to continue into lane A or lane A1, but can’t because drivers in lane B took over lane A.

I hope this makes sense because many drivers do not know what to do, and they are swerving, honking, and yelling at each other. Please help me, to avoid an accident. Thank you.

That was way way confusing - so it barely makes sense.

If you’re asking whether or not you should make way for another driver to enter a lane when theirs is disappearing, then the answer is absolutely, positively yes - so long as you have a legal lane to use and your use of it wouldn’t be unsafe or impede drivers already in that lane.

Or, in short, if someone needs the space that you are in and there is another space that you can easily use - then get the heck out of the way.

Any other strategy makes a complete mess out of traffic. Those lanes are put there for a purpose. If you don’t use them to keep traffic flowing then it is you who are the road hazard.

If, for some reason, you happen to find changing lanes on a multi-lane roadway to be difficult or confusing or stressful then you shouldn’t be driving on them. Take an alternate route or an alternate form of transportation because all it says is that you aren’t competent to be driving where you are.

I was under the impression that lane A is for lane A and and A1, so I am confused why there are 3 dashes at the start of lane B after the traffic light. Lane B can go straight (not get on the highway) or I assume go into lane A. Lane B does not disappear. If someone needs that space, wouldn’t all the drivers be in lane A first?

I’m just baffled about why these drivers in lane B are not already in lane A where they are suppose to be like the drivers in lane A. The traffic does flow, but it’s a fight between the 6th or 7th driver in lane A against a driver in lane B. Does that help clear it up some? Please let me know, thanks!! :slight_smile:

I’m not the one changing lanes. I’m in Lane A going straight to the highway, allowing drivers behind me the chance to move into lane A1 when lane A gets full, but the drivers in lane B are the ones changing lanes and getting upset, pushing their way over. There is no other route, it’s a lane to get onto the highway. So, Cigroll, you sound like a typical lane B person. So sad, but thanks for your input.

Reminds me of Boulevard Atlixco in Puebla, Mexico. It is like 12 lanes divided, 6 each way. There is a busy left turn at an intersection. There is a left turn lane, but in practice, two more lanes are used for left turns. The cars just crowd up and when the left turn light comes on, bunches of cars zip around to the left as if there were three legitimate left turn lanes. It works because the locals are used to it. I am usually in the most left lane, because I am doing a turn around, to go back east to Angelopolis after leaving Home Depot.

The big deal is to get as many cars through the intersection as possible before the light changes, it is short cycle,and they sort things out later.

In MD, lanes that require you to turn left or right have an arrow painted in the lane, the traffic light is an arrow, or there are signs that clearly state that a lane must turn. Sometimes signs show lanes that go straight through, too. If there are no markers that tell you where your lane goes, you must allow merges from either the left or right. An intersection next to work is a good example. Two lanes approach a red light at a 4-way intersection. Most people in the right lane turn right, and most in the left lane turn left. But some folks want to go straight through. But there is only one lane on the other side of the 4-way intersection. Since there are no traffic directions, either lane can go through. But the drivers have to make way for anyone in the other lane that is ahead of them.

The driver who didn’t plan ahead enough to choose the correct lane is to wait for an opening…not FORCE one.

The cars desiring to merge or change lanes must yield to through traffic. That being said, in similar situations I allow enough room for 1 car to merge in if possible. If a second car tries to bully their way in, they’re facing my unyielding fender. Plan ahead or wait…