Lady uses plastic bags for "gas can"

You may joke about people smoking around gas and such but there are plenty of stories where people actually do stuff like this.

We had a situation like this back when I was in high school. Someone I went to school with had a propane leak. Their dad went back to investigate the leak and lit up a smoke while working with a hissing fitting. The house exploded in a fireball and he was killed. I lived several miles away and heard a tremendous boom and the sky lit up in that direction. There were charity drives to provide assistance to the kids afterwards.

There were also people I knew who lived right next to or across the street from this. There were smaller subsequent explosions when the car in the garage and then the nearby electrical transformer blew but I didn’t hear or see any of those.

I have done IT work at hazmat facilities and one had just recently fired an employee for smoking around highly flammable materials. The guy tried to act like he was going to be protected by the union and that he could do what he wanted but he had violated Federal law. They had him on camera and he was fired. The union supported the decision based on the nature of the material he was working with. His name was put in a database to where he could never be hired to work at any regulated hazmat facility again.

We have Ralph’s supermarkets . . . Ralph’s falls under the rather large Kroger umbrella

We also have Food4Less . . . which is also part of Kroger, I believe

None of them seem to have filling stations here, though

We do get rewards points at Ralph’s, but they’re redeemable at Shell. I did the math a few times, and it’s not worth it, even with all the points. It’s still cheaper to fill up at Costco

At least she didn’t use a Walmart bag. Those are notorious for having holes in them. Low bid I think.

2 Likes

Considering I have lived in FL for 6 years, had to bug-out for only one hurricane, Irma, in that time, I can understand how someone looks at that generator taking up garage space and they’ve never even needed it once and off to the pawn shop it goes. That’s where I bought mine!

Never seen a collapsible gas can. I own a couple collapsible water jugs now stuffed under a bed. Far cheaper and easier than trying to buy a lot of water when the time comes. My gas jugs are in the attic space over my garage ready when needed.

No, I wasn’t joking!
That was a sincere sentiment on my part.

I pumped gas for about 4 years in my youth. Smoking while pumping gas or anywhere around the pumps was common, both by customers and employees. It was accepted behavior. I’m glad it’s changed.

2 Likes

A lot of the plastic shopping bags have holes in them. I like to bash Wal-Mart as being the low-bidder and low quality leader but think all the bags are basically the same these days. I think this is part of how they are made and where they are cut apart or pressed. I think the bags are made of a sheet of plastic and melted together. I think they are cut and have two little spots where they remain connected and are just pulled apart, sometimes causing those little holes. The holes always seem to be in the same two places.

Remember these bags are made to be cheap and used once, not something you pass down to your grandkids. They are also not made to properly contain gasoline or other flammable liquids.

I have noticed that Menards and certain other places have nicer bags. They seem to be thicker and more forgiving with a little stretch. I bet they are HDPE which generally costs more and is more durable. This is what the black bags are made of although they are white at Menards.

I once saw one of those 48 Hours or 60 Minutes deals where a guy had killed his wife and cut her body apart. He had dumped her in black trash bags out in the woods somewhere.

Of course he was the prime suspect and the authorities searched his house. There happened to be a partially used roll of black trash bags in his garage which were looked at. There were impurities and manufacturing defects right where the plastic was cut. It showed the next bag on the roll matched up perfectly to one of the bags his wife was found in and then the subsequent bags had a similar defect that showed they all came from the same production line and likely the same roll. So basically a defect in a roll of black trash bags convicted the guy.

1 Like

The moral of the story is, use high quality plastic bags when disposing of dead bodies?

2 Likes

I think you should use biodegradable ones, but what do I know about disposing of dead bodies? One winter I found the mangled remains of an unfortunate rabbit on my front steps one morning. I put him in a pail in the trailer to dispose of it on garbage day. When I went to retrieve it, it was all gone. Looked to me like a hungry coyote got him. Might need to put up some game cameras to see what really is going on at night.

There are nice people in our neighborhood, a few guys pushing a car up to the gas station I guess. Neighbor came out asked what was wrong, out of gas, he had some gas in a can, poured it in their tank, no charge, car started and off they went to the gas station. I used to be a lot more helpful, but heard too many horror stories of a good Samaritan getting undeserved consequences.

1 Like

You have to love how people complicate things. You can either carry a can to the station or ask someone for some gas but you choose to push the car to the gas station!

This makes me think of some good gasoline theft stories I have heard around here. This came up with some friends in a social setting. One guy lived along a secondary highway. He lived in a basic rental house with no real storage so the mower and gas can just sat on the front porch. One day he went to mow and the gas can was empty. I filled it with water to check for leaks and there were none so he refilled it with gas. Then one day it was empty. So he refilled it again and began to check it each day. It would be full for a while and then it would be empty. I had noticed some old Camaro that was parked near his house a couple times when he got home and wondered if that had anything to do with it. He would see this car drive by his house frequently. Anyway, he decided to spike the gas with all kinds of corn syrup and sugar and leave the can outside like normal. One day he came home and saw the can was empty. The old Camaro never drove by his house again!

Then someone who lived where their house backed up to an interstate highway exit told their story. People would run out of gas and see houses off the highway and just walk up. They would see a gas can or several and just take them. It got to be a daily thing for them and they were sick of it. So, they decided to have decoy gas cans filled with crap and good gas cans. The crap gas cans had a chain run through the handle to a padlock. They just used whatever cheap dog chain, rope, or whatever to lock the gas cans down. They made sure this was old gas and that it was spiked with something not so nice like sugar or corn syrup. The gas cans with good gas would just be sitting right there next to the chained up cans of bad gas. People would cut the chain or rope and take the junk but leave the unlocked gas cans, figuring those were the bad ones.

Some of these were business owners in town and it was pretty funny to hear these stories and their frustrations. Some were talking about how you don’t want to make the gas so bad that they won’t be a few miles away when the car stops running. You don’t want them within walking distance of your place when their car conks out!

1 Like

Huh, so what you are saying is that I’m probably not going to get paid for the 5 gallons of gas I delivered to her out on the highway?

I wonder what the explosive equivalent of that bag of gasoline is in sticks of dynamite? It seems like it would be at least 10 sticks. I don’t think even Hogan’s Heroes would attempt that trick 
 lol 

I once heard that each gallon of gas is about the energy equivalent of 1 stick of dynamite. That was several gallons of gas of course but gas doesn’t explode with the speed and power of a high explosive.

I once saw something about how the amount of power generated and used each day was equivalent to the energy released by some size of nuclear bomb. There is a big difference between all that energy being released in a fraction of a second in one location and being released all over the world throughout a day.

WOW! 1 gallon = 83 sticks! https://www.purdue.edu/uns/html3month/1999/990604.Kingman.gasoline.html

1 Like

I knew a guy who was using a Styrofoam cup to prime a carburetor. Gasoline dissolves Styrofoam very, very quickly!!!

I have always heard that it was 1 gallon of gas fume’s = 8 stick’s of dynamite thank you for the link I learned something new today.

And if this moron goes up in flames the next of kin will be suing the bag manufacturer, the gas station, the refinery, the store that provided the bag, the car manufacturer, and the construction company that laid the concrete pad for the gas station.

2 Likes

I can just hear her saying,
“Wait, what? You mean gas burns and can explode? Who knew?”

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

People ARE that stupid. About 10 years ago in southern OK some buy burnt his trailer house down. What was he doing to cause this?
Cooking dinner and washing car parts in gasoline on the same stove at the same time.

Unfortunately for the rest of us Okies (naturalized Okie in my case
) we get stereotyped because of buffoons like this.,

1 Like