Knock sound when cold start But goes away. Turn off the engine and back on. It came back and wont be gone

I having an issue with my triton 2007. manual with 4d56u engine. I recently hear noise about knocking or ticking sound and it knocking goes fast when I rev the engine. I noticed when cold start. there is knock but goes away after a few minutes. when it reach operating temperature. I turn it off and back on and I hear the noise again and wont go away. It might be the piston expanding? or what they call piston slap?

Could be piston slap, sure.

How’s the oil level on the vehicle? Has it had regular oil changes throughout its life?

Welcome to the forum…

Unfortunately you have a vehicle that has not been sold in the USA market since around 1996 (I think), anyone remember the Mighty Max and the Dodge D50/Dodge Ram 50 and the Plymouth Arrow truck??

So we may not be much use other than just basic knowledge of diesel engines, which isn’t the greatest either…

It could be a rod knock or being a diesel, maybe even the injector timing off or bad injector causing a dieseling noise…

Best to have it checked out by a trained pro mechanic that knows your engine…

1 Like

That sounds like rod knock to me. Piston slap won’t be as noticable on a hot start. A failing rod bearing will.

If this engine has lots of miles (or km) on it, it might be ready for replacement.

2 Likes

Just for kicks and giggles . . .

Have you briefly run the engine without the accessory drive belt(s), just to rule out the belt, tensioner, idler, accessories, etc. . . . ?

3 Likes

On thing not mentioned was exhaust manifold leak. Happened to me on two different vehicles. When cold there’s enough gap to get a little leak that sounds like small tapping. As engine warms the metal expands and closes that gap and noise goes away.

1 Like

For those curious:

" The Mitsubishi Triton or Mitsubishi L200 is a mid-size pickup truck produced by Mitsubishi Motors. In Japan, where it has only been sold intermittently and in small numbers, it was originally known as the Mitsubishi Forte [1] and from 1991 as the Strada. In the United States, Mitsubishi marketed it as the Mitsubishi Mighty Max until 1996. Chrysler Corporation sold captive imports as the Dodge D50, Dodge Ram 50 and Plymouth Arrow truck in the U.S. and as the Chrysler D-50 in Australia.

For most export markets the name L200 is used,[2][3][4] though it has also been known as the Rodeo,[5] Colt,[6] Storm, Magnum, Strakar (used in Portugal since 1999; Strakar is a portmanteau of Strada and Dakar),[7] and others. In 2015, Fiat Professional launched a rebadged version as the Fiat Fullback. In 2016, Ram Trucks launched a rebadged version as the Ram 1200 for the Middle East market."

Edit - from what I can tell the OP’s truck is diesel - powered.

1 Like

Part of that sounds familiar… :laughing:

1 Like

Friend bought a fiat strada. Too cheap to spend $700 more on a vw rabbit. Which he really wanted more.