Keyless entry and push button start problem

So my daughter has a Subaru Outback with keyless entry and push button start, and her battery kept dying overnight. It turns out that she was keeping her second key fob within 10 feet of the car, so the car’s electrical system was kept on all night (sensing that she was approaching the car) running the battery down. The lesson learned (the hard way) was to keep your key fobs far enough away from the car so the electrical system is not constantly energized. I hope this helps other people.

“It turns out that she was keeping her second key fob within 10 feet of the car…
The lesson learned (the hard way) was to keep your key fobs far enough away from the car so the electrical system is not constantly energized.”

And… for some folks, stop living inside your car or parking it in the bedroom :wink:
CSA

I’m amazed keeping the fob within 10’ would cause this problem. It isn’t the case for my wife’s Lexus with keyless entry and push button start. Ministers be Subarus implementation.

Another fine example of TOO much tecnology . . and . . technology overkill.
Technology ; just because you COULD . . does not mean that you SHOULD !

Some cars have a button sequence that temporarily disables the key fob, which might be useful in a situation like this.

"Ministers be Subarus implementation."

Can’t we keep religion out of this discussion?
:wink:

“Another fine example of TOO much tecnology . . and . . technology overkill.
Technology ; just because you COULD . . does not mean that you SHOULD !”

“Some cars have a button sequence that temporarily disables the key fob, which might be useful in a situation like this.”

@kengreen
Another layer of technology on top of another fine example of TOO much technology . . and . . technology overkill! :neutral: I’m with you, Ken.

CSA

This has nothing to do with too much technology. But everything in how Subaru implemented it. In fact the push button start in many ways is a simpler technology. Much easier for the owner. And at least in Lexus and Toyota it’s very reliable. Far more then GMs ignition switch.