Junk cars can be melted down

They sell it and use the proceeds to pay for future operations, just like most non-profits that accept donations. The donator will be sent a receipt for the amount received at sale, and they can deduct that amount from income for a tax advantage. Most sales are at auction.

During WW II there was a great shortage of scrap metal; cars were driven forever, items were repaired and re-used, and the war industry had a huge appetite. Steel from blast furnaces filled in the gap of course.

When I worked in the foundry, every so often a big grain type truck full of scrap would make a delivery. All that old rusty junk was then melted down into brand new cast wheels and hand cart parts. Itā€™s the cycle of life. I guess they donā€™t teach this in school anymore but it was just a known fact as a kid like where milk really came from. Of course it used to be fun to rummage through the scrap yards when they were closed.

1 Like

I worked as a security guard at a foundry while in college. The scrap metals came in semitrailer sized dump trucks. The worst were the scrapped aluminum engine blocks from places like Briggs and Stratton. Talk about a racket when they dumped those.

The induction furnaces were massive in that place with crucibles about 8-10ft tall that would get hoisted from the furnace and poured into sand castings. Quite the showā€¦

Same for the battery recycling plant I visited. Molten lead, plastic shred and skimming the acid mix. Danteā€™s Inferno in there!

There are other nail products that are hard. Masonry nails have to be quite hard to penetrate bricks or mortar.

And ferrierā€™s nails used to shoe horses are quite soft since they need to be either snapped off where they penetrate the hoof or turned over.

re: what happens when you donate a car to cartalk.

In our case it went to an auction and we got the write off for the auction sale price. Who bought it and where it went I have no clue but would think it was bought by someone for resale.