Jump Start damage?

I was helping with a jump start. My 95 Ford Aerostart to a 95 Mitsubishi Mirage.

Connected cables but last Neg connection my have been bad (painted metal).

GOOD car wouldn’t turn on after cables connected nor after disconnected. I think GOOD car got damaged.

What are possible damaged items I should check and in what order (cheap to expensive)?

If you had the POS going to the painted metal NEG, it could blow out your battery. You didn’t say if the BAD car started. If it did the cables were right. If not, the cables were prob. reversed, may have even ruined your ECU.

If you attempt a jump with a bad connection, the worst thing that should happen is that you don’t start the bad car.

Where exactly did you connect the cables?

Sorry, the connections were correct except the last connection of the Neg to ground may have been bad. I think it was connected to PAINTED metal.

The BAD car did not start. The GOOD car wouldn’t start for the jump nor after cables were off.

AAA came out and said the GOOD battery was fine. They towed GOOD car home. I need to know what order to start checking possible damage to it.

Thank you for you replies.

Sorry, the connections were correct except the last connection of the Neg to ground may have been bad. I think it was connected to PAINTED metal.

The BAD car did not start. The GOOD car wouldn’t start for the jump nor after cables were off.

AAA came out and said the GOOD battery was fine. They towed GOOD car home. I need to know what order to start checking possible damage to it.

Thank you for you replies.

Since the GOOD car won’t start now, and AAA says the battery is good, you definitely fried something in your elec. system. Did you get the wires reversed or hook both wires to GRD on the BAD car? You should check all fuses, hopefully the ECU isn’t burnt. Those are expensive, although you could get a used one for 1/10th the cost, I did it once.

Have you checked all the fuses? My Honda has 2 fuse boxes, one under the steering wheel and one uder the hood. Check both. That’d be a logical point to start.

Do you get any noise when you turn the key?

The negative cables should have been connected to a large metal part of the engine. If the painted metal part that you refer to is a part of a fender or chassis, then you probably burned out a ground strap between the engine and the firewall.

Yes, the metal was part of the front fender. Someone above asked what the van does now. The lights on the dash come on and the engine turns as before, it just never starts. It never had that problem before.

I think this “grounding strap” suggetion probably correct. How difficult a repair is that? Is it one wire or a series of wires?

The location of the ground strap depends on the car. Look for a bare braided wire between the firewall and the engine, or a small black wire from the negative battery terminal to the body.

For troubleshooting purposes, you can connect the black jumper cable between some big metal part of the engine and a metal part of the chassis. This will temporarily substitute for a bad ground strap. Try starting the engine this way.

Markmast and others. Thanks for the tips. I am driving something else until I have time to work on this. I appreciate the time and advice.