Jingley Noise

HI -

I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan. I drive very little locally - ususally just a couple of miles a week. But every couple of months I drive an hour and a half away to THE BIG CITY. Last week I took such a trip, and coming home I noticed my van was making a “jingley” noise. Just like the sleigh bells in the barn. With the windows open I can’t tell where the noise is coming from. And it isn’t associated with the a/c, since the a/c was off when the noise started.

Since then when I take my little local trips it only made the noise once - when I went over 35 mph. Usually drive slower locally. So, I don’t know whether the problem is associated with length of drive time or speed, but I’m thinking it’s associated with a higher speed.

Yes, I have an apt. with a mechanic, but I can’t get in to see him until the middle of next week.

I just wanted to get some ideas about what it MIGHT be. Any clue? Thanks, all!

Does it sound like the noise is coming from the center? By that I mean it’s not coming from the fan or the tires. I’m going to suggest it’s your torque converter

Thanks - I really can’t tell WHERE it’s coming from when in the driver’s seat. Torque converter sounds nice and complicated. Do you think it could be the fan or tires? I was running the a/c before the noise started, but not when driving locally.

A jingley noise on these vehicles is very often the air conditioning compressor clutch. Try turning on the a/c and see if the noise goes away. If it does go away, that’s it.

Me2, I was wondering: how and when does a torque converter make a jingley sound? I have never heard of this and do not understand how this can happen.