Jiffy Lube Caught on Tape

Don’t forget to offer headlight fluid changes.

3 Likes

SO . . then , as usual, they’re not sorry they did it . . .
they’re sorry
they
GOT
CAUGHT !
thence, all of their efforts are put toward. . of course . . not doing it right henceforth but . . . . ?
a different means of not getting caught.

umm, no offence intended here- but do you have something a little more recent than 2009 for proof that Jiffy Lube is ripping folks off?

I know you said this isn’t new, but that is an awful long time ago.

2 Likes

Actually, I thought it was from 2005, not 2009, so no, I don’t have anything more recent. However, this was a local news story, so if I wanted to, I might be able to find more recent ones.

Having said that, I’ve been seeing these kinds of local investigative reports on TV since I was a child in the 1970s, where someone marks a car part, takes it to a shop to have that part replaced, and then discovers the same part is in the car, so it’s pretty timeless, and I’m sure it still goes on.

1 Like

That was loaded on You tube August, 2006 but these things don’t change. Some of the people in those types of shops will do dishonest things to make a dollar and don’t have much fear of losing a $25,000/year job.

The local DA needs to arrest the people involved for fraud, that’s the only way this stuff will stop. I don’t know why they haven’t?

1 Like

I vote for “lazy”.
A friend of mine from undergraduate college days is certainly not stupid, but I have to conclude that he is lazy.
He casually revealed to me that he typically keeps $17k-$20k in a non-interest-bearing checking account. :open_mouth:

I immediately gave him information regarding where he could transfer a substantial portion of that money to FDIC-insured accounts that paid (at that time) 3 to 4 %.
He thanked me for that info, and it was about 5 years later–when I was helping him with his income taxes–that I learned about his failure to move any funds out of that non-interest-bearing account.

By that time, he had over $20k in that non-interest-bearing account, and when I asked him why he continued to cheat himself out of interest income, he had to admit that he was just…lazy.
Yup!
Lazy, and poorer as a result of that laziness.

:neutral_face:

Oh I wouldn’t be so hard on him. We also have substantial amounts in four different checking accounts that bear no interest. The accounts are for specific purposes an in lieu of using credit cards. Not everyone is concerned about going through the machinations to make an extra $2-300 a year. We’ve had this conversation before and its the same reason I don’t clip coupons or take part in the fuel saver rewards at the grocery store. I just don’t care period. Nothing against people that do care, but not everyone does.

2 Likes

Bing, Why ? It is so easy to transfer money from savings to checking online you can do it in your pajamas. Even our checking pays a small interest ( really small ).

Because “frankly Charlotte I don’t give a d***”. Yeah we do that too but the earnings are really peanuts. I also like the green cash cash but try to limit that. I’m not as paranoid as a year ago but I still like to have two or three back-up plans, especially while out of the area. Not everyone shares that view and that’s fine with me but some people want everyone to do things the way they do them which I think is a little power hungry.

I do remember my wife taking off for Europe though with $80 cash, then finding out her debit card didn’t work. Luckily between the bank and I we were able to get her back on track.

1 Like

My wife used Jiffy lube for years and never had a problem, car lasted 12 years, and was traded in due to electrical problems, hope we are the rule rather than the exception.

Some people are just too set in their ways to grasp new technology.

I use my credit card for almost ALL purchases. Convenient, and I get cash back each month. Especially with gas purchases. Since I pay off my credit cards every month I don’t pay any interest. Easily get $500-$1000 back every year. We rarely write checks anymore. Everything is on-line…I don’t think I have more then $20 in cash in my wallet…EVER…No need. And with thinks like Apple Pay becoming more widely accepted, I may not even carry a credit card much longer. So easy to do and so convenient.

Still in the old world of preferring to remain anonymous, cash talks, but credit debit member cards talk more, recalling the fingerprint ID being tracked from I phones with no security, If they want to give us this info, why should we object says NSA.
I am sure many here say I have done nothing wrong, why should I care? well impotus is targeted advertising, and now wife is like if you do not wear a seat belt and we are in a crash black box will know and deny claim, where it begins and ends I do not know but recll a guy telling his doctor he drank multiple beers per evening and doctor turned him in for alcohol abuse and his licence was suspended, even though he never drove after drinking. WTF .

??? If there are few regulations, why would it be necessary to operate outside them?

…to maximize profits.

I’m not sure why you’re struggling with this.

1 Like

I’ll have to clarify, by checking accounts, I mean accessed with an electronic device called a debit card. Doesn’t mean you write checks although I do a few for property taxes twice a year or people that would rather have a check than pay the debit card processing charge. I will caution though that twice in the last two weeks I have run into a situation where none of my debit cards or credit cards worked. One was at a gas station in Indiana and the other at a place in PA. Yeah and I always notify the bank when I’m out of town-just something wrong with their internet service. I always carry at least a couple hundred so it really doesn’t matter, but to me its foolish to have only $20 traveling. But then like I said, I always have a back-up plan. Plans don’t always seem to unfold like they should.

I did business with an independent shop for about 25 years. I recommended that independent to friends. Then the management changed and suddenly the shop found all kinds of things wrong. When I was told that one of our vehicles needed all new struts, I became suspicious. I told the manager I would wait on having the struts replaced. I did the bounce test and crawled under the vehicle and looked for leaking struts. I saw no leaks. A couple weeks later, we had a tire that was losing air, so I took the vehicle to my independent tire shop that also does brakes and struts. I asked them to look at the struts. When I got.the vehicle back, the tire was fixed, a grease seal was replaced and they checked the struts. They said the struts were fine. Since I bought the tires at that shop there was no charge. When I took the vehicle to the dealer for an oil.change, an inspection was done and the struts were said to be fine. When I was at the dealer a week ago, the.mechanic I liked at the independent shop where I had done business for 25 years was working at the dealer. He told me he got tired of the political atmosphere at the independent shop. I know what he was telling me.by that statement. It’s not just Jiffy Lube that does some questionable practices.

1 Like

Most of my life I’ve had people calling me names because I don’t do what they think is important.

One man used to really cuss me out because my car is usually dirty. He said anyone with any self-dignity will wash and wax their car, every Saturday.

Another man, much like a poster above, said anyone who is not stupid will put his money here or there to get maximum return.

People on expat and travel boards tell us we are stupid because we don’t race all over the place to avoid $24 a month ATM fees to take out the money we need here in Mexico.

So, what did I achieve in my life instead of saving a fortune [sarcasm] by doing with my money or car as they do?

Hold on tight, folks, I am going to boast. :smile:

I was the second college graduate in my family in history. An uncle stayed in the Army after WWII and got his degree. He was a Colonel working with military computerization. Most other ancestors were dirt farmers or manual laborers.

I passed the CPA exam in 1980, but declined to take the cut in pay to work at it. I did make enough on investments to pay for half a large home in Mexico City for my wife’s family to share. And, had money enough left to buy land that cost $6,000 nearly 30 years ago, and is now appraised at nearly $200,000, and build a 2,850 square foot house on it.

Of my four kids, one got his Ph.D. One graduated from med school. One got a Masters in Science Ed. And, one is an R.N.

Here in Mexico, I have helped: a young woman from a very poor family get her 4 year university diploma. A young man get his psychology license. He now supports his widowed mother. And, a girl the first in her family to graduate from high school.

And, as usual for me, my 2009 Sienna is one of the dirtiest, filthiest cars in town. Kids write on it with their fingers. Like Bing, I don’t give a darn. (I am aware he didn’t darn it. :smile: ) Wax has never touched it since I bought it, and I have no plans to ever wax it in the future.

So, y’all who are ever so much more ambitious and smart than I am, please carry on with your nickel and dime operations. That is what personal freedom is all about. I have different goals for my life.

3 Likes

The problem is that even an independent shop could do the same trick. I used the dealer once for the oil change on our new to us car because of the warranty. The oil change receipt had the oil as Pennzoil 5W-30 listed and the sticker on the window had Shell 10W-30. God knows what actually went in the engine. I changed the oil again later that week.

Do not recall what station I heard it on, but it was a story about a guy that worked at a gas station that offered oil changes. Would you like the good, better or best oil, at a different price point of course. Most chose the best but all the oil used for all changes was the drain oil filtered through a felt hat. Kind of like recycled oil I guess.:santa: