Jeep Problem

I just bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler X, I am the fourth owner. It in inline 6, standard with 4 wheel drive. When I am driving the vehicle at a say 30 or above, and I hit a bump, the vehicle starts to shake so bad that I actually have to pull to the side of the road and slow down for it to stop. Now this does not happen all the time and other than that the vehicle drive’s good. I have had the tires rotated and balanced. Some jeep people say that they think that it is my track bar( or something like that) Can you help me define the problem? Love the show. Thanks Mike

This is the infamous “Jeep Death Wobble”. The first thing to check is the steering damper. This is the shock absorber looking thing attached to the steering linkage. If that doesn’t fix it, then the entire steering/suspension systems need to be inspected for worn components.

Tester

So do I just go in and replace it, or is there a way for me to check it, or should I take it to someone.

Remove the damper and operate the rod in and out. If this can be done easily, the damper is worn.

Tester

Thank you for your help, I will let you know what happens