JB Weld.... love it or hate it?

I Googled “JB Weld tooth repair” and sure nuff, here’s a guy who says it works well:

“Just for you guys out there that know what JB Weld 4 minute epoxy is , its a fantastic tooth filler , and cheap,use the cleaning techniques they advise on this site and dry well with air then fill the tooth, it will work for a long time Im personally experienced no gum redness or swelling, I understand you can order this in white also from the factory , this is very hard stuff and will not work where there is a lot of flex.”

@jesmed1, it’s been a week, and the JB Steel Stik is holding. A good thing, too, because I’m in NC at a car club meet and I’m doing some ‘spirited’ driving with it. https://flic.kr/p/rU5nd [\img]

@bustedknuckles, good to hear. The flickr link is broken though.

JB update. I tried JB-Original on a broken water pump impeller (a very small one, for an home-aquarium type pump). It appears to be some version of a brush-less DC motor, and the impeller broke loose from the magnet, and needed to be re-attached. I clamped it and let it set up for 48 hours, put it into service, and it seems to be holding. Water is now flowing anyway. Not sure how well it will hold up to being the water full time, but this is a good test of JB-Original’s water compatibility.

Try water weld. It’s a little different than JB Weld, because you have to knead the stuff, until the consistency is correct. Then you apply it and let it harden. After it hardens, you can sand, drill, tap, etc.

But I think JB Weld would be more appropriate for filling in pits

Water weld seems to be more appropriate if you’ve actually broken off an edge, ear, corner, etc.

I used it 2 months ago under my kitchen sink, seems one of the compression fittings was leaking at the rear of the fitting. I could not tighten it up any more without snapping something. I removed the fitting and applied JB quick and let it sit overnght before turning the water back on. So far no leak.

JB Weld is the Bomb Diggity. Ive repaired so many things with it that I cant recount all of them. The most “Dramatic” repair was repairing a spark plug hole on a 5Hp Briggs n Stratton engine. The Spark Plug stripped out and we were in the woods…FAR from my shop or anywhere really. It needed to work and JB Weld did the trick. In fact its been 6 years now and its still got that repair on it. If it ever fails we will of course repair it using a Heli-coil but at the time…in lieu of said Heli-coil…JB weld DID THE JOB…and we even tapped in threads to the repair. Worked like a charm.

Original JB weld has fine fine fine metal particles in it as you can see when mixing it up. Its also quite heat resistant so exhaust repairs are actually possible with it. The original is NOTHING like the clear stuff…the clear is a lower duty type of Epoxy and really shouldnt be used in any comparison to the original or the 5 min type of Original type JB.

Its great stuff…Dare I say…its the Two Part Type of Duct Tape…and damn near as useful.

Blackbird

Here is another post for JB Weld…back in 1998 my 89 Mustang GT developed an external small drip leak where the timing cover mates up to the block which was a common problem on these 5.0’s. It only leaked when the engine was hot and running under pressure… I let it cool overnight and applied JB weld where the leak was the next morning after cleaning everything off with sandpaper and carb cleaner… Let it cure for 24 hours and viola the leak stopped. After 17 years the leak has not resurfaced ! I just replaced the water pump about a year ago and to be safe I put a thin coat inside the timing cover on both sides where it meets the block. I did this because if it would start leaking at a different place you could get coolant leaking into the oil pan. Saved me the aggravation of pulling the timing cover.