Jaguar X-type 2003

I have a 2003 Jaguar X-type that gives me trouble when the temperature drops below 32 degrees. I have to warm it for at least 10 minutes. During that time it coughs and sputters and my check engine light flashes. Once the light stops flashing I am able to drive. Any ideas of what is going on?

“Check Engine” Light flashing = cylinder misfire.

CEL also = stored codes. Get them read ASAP. Your engine may well be slowly committing suicide.

The solution MIGHT be as simple as a bad temp sensor, but if you don’t address it you might end up with serious damage.

Thanks for the advice.

There is probably a fault in the coolant temperature sensor. It could be as simple as corrosion or dirt on the connector.
If you go on Rock Auto, plug in your car and temperature sensor, it will lead you to the part. Click on info and then on “what does a temperature sensor do?”, it gives a good explanation on the consequences.

One thing all cars have in one way or another is a function which enriches the fuel mixture (more gas) and increases the idle speed when the coolant is cold. Not sure how your car does it, but most in the 2003 era use a gadget called the IAC – idle air control. The engine computer senses the coolant temp with a sensor, and does two thing when the coolant is cold: It allows more air into the engine by rotating the IAC, and it increases the amount of gas by double or triple pulsing the injectors. Something seems to be amiss in all that with your car. First thing as mentioned above is to have the computer’s codes read, that should provide some clues as to what part of this opera isn’t working.