Is VW glof a reliable car?

Shopping for a small and safe car. VW Golf is on the top of the list. However, I worry about the reliability of VW cars in general as I heard so many story about going to the dealership so often for small problems. I don’t want to go to dealership too often. Should I get a VW golf? Thanks.

Is VW glof a reliable car?

Yes, if you do all the maintenance you should (see list in owner’s manual) and like any other car, if you fail to do the maintenance, your car will fail to provide you a reliable ride.

Looking at the “available data” will indicate that they have more problems than average. However available data is not as well tuned as I would like to see, I don’t really trust it.

That said I would not rate the VW high. I would rate it below average, but not enough to keep me from buying one. In fact I have bought two. Both did or is providing me with good reliable service. I would expect the same from almost any make car that has a driver who does not abuse the car and sees that it is properly maintained.

Should you by a VW, well I suggest trying one out and try out a few other cars and see what you like most. If you are really concerned about the fact that VWs seldom are on the top of the list for reliability, then buy something else. Your comfort with the make of car is as important or more than something like the placement of the radio controls etc.

In Germany, the Golf is the best-selling car (like a Camry or Accord are here in the US). Do you think all those utilitarian and perfectionist teutonians would buy anything that clonks out on a regular basis? Of course not. The Golf tops lots of reliability statistics. Then again, if you look at a lot of the available data from US sources you’ll find that the Golf is rated average in reliability. Average is not stellar but it is not crappy either. My own experience has been that the components or models that give VW such a bad rep because they fail often are the ones that deviate from the family-friendly base model. People get GTIs or VR6s, drive them hard and wonder why it is not as reliable as a Corolla. Duh. The other thing to consider is that a Golf is (subjectively, to me) a much more refined car than say a Corolla or a Civic. So it may also be seen as a trade-off between refinement and reliability. I personally wouldn’t mind the fact that maybe my water pump may give out 15K miles earlier than on a Corolla if in exchange I enjoy fun and refinement every day.

Of course, if you test drive a competitor that is deemed more reliable and you don’t notice a lack of refinement I’d go with that. It’s only worth it if you notice and enjoy it.

Is Golf safer than Corolla or civic?

In comparison to a Corolla or Civic the Golf is a going to be a maintenance money pit. European cars can’t hold a candle to Japanese cars in terms of reliability. Also labor rates are lower and parts prices/availability are generally better for Japanese cars. Don’t buy a VW, you will regret it.

They are all three “top safety picks” by the Insurance Institute for Highway safety.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=305

The European NCAP organization awarded the Golf the title “safest car of 2009”.

(http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Article/4a35be7b-bc49-4272-b628-b745829f70fd/euro-ncaps-top-five-achievers-of-2009.aspx)

This might also be interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/automobiles/autoreviews/06volkswagen.html

“Reliability has been an issue with recent Volkswagens. The automaker was rated second to last in J. D. Power & Associates? 2009 Vehicle Dependability Study, which looked at how 2006 models had held up. But Consumer Reports magazine says its reliability studies show Volkswagen has been improving; the magazine rates the new Golf among the most reliable small cars.”

VW Golf’s tend to be average reliability if not better. I have known many people with them and very happy over 150k miles. I think they are produced in Germany and Brazil instead of Jetta made in Mexico.

They’re good cars and you should keep in mind that when a story is presented one seldom ever hears the entire story. They have not been around 25 years for nothing.

A new Golf is reliable. After the warranty expires the VW will need more repairs more often than many other small cars, such as the Civic. If you plan the keep the car for 10 years you may want to look at Honda and Toyota models that do better as they age.

I would buy one in a heartbeat, if it met my needs.

My friend owned an '09 GTI for over a year, and had no issues with it, other than it put a huge smile on his face whenever he drove it.

Oh, wait…
That’s not actually an “issue”, is it?

Financial issues forced him to sell it last month.
Not a single problem with it in 20k miles of driving.

Great, solid little car.

BC.

I’ve worked for 2 VW dealers over the years and saw no above average repair ratio for the Golfs as compared to any of the 2 other lines of cars these same dealers sold and this included Honda and Subaru.

Although I loved certain models of Toyotas over the years, none of them are new. Some of the new ones are not worth even sitting in. Tallness is a problem 6’2" should not be such a problem. It’s worst in the Corolla. Now that Toyota is having recall after recall for good reason I can not recommend them. It was fun while it lasted but averageness has happened.

Volkswagen and reliable in the same sentence is an oxymoron!

I really can’t say and won’t argue with folks that like VW but they have about 2% of the US auto market so draw your own conclusions. For me, my 59 model was enough of an adventure.

Even an Aveo will run well for 20,000 miles! Today’s VWs are quite reliable initially, but they don’t age as well as Japanese and other good vehicles. That’s why the first few years they are a pleasure to own, but you should trade when the warranty expires.

That results in overall expensive ownership.

Germans don’t really care what happens after a car after 4-5 years. Many German used cars end up in Africa and other developing areas of the world. North America is the only rich area where cars are really “used up”, so to speak, going through 4 owners typically.

I’ve never owned a VW but have driven a couple and they are very nice. However, in my business I see and talk to a lot of people, and I ask about their cars if I’m curious. My admittedly unscientific “research” seems to indicate that VWs tend to have an inordinate amount of dumb problems that are VERY expensive to fix. Many of the owners I’ve talked to are not real mechanically savvy and may have been “had” by the dealers. One person I talked to had a Passat wagon with fairly low miles (around 45K) and had to spend nearly $1,000 to fix the rear brakes.

Driving a VW may put a huge smile on your face, but in it were me, that smile would quickly turn upside down if I had to spend a lot of money having quirks fixed.

I had good reliability with my '86 – 224,000 miles worth. It got $2500 for trade-in despite high mileage. As an aside, I think the VW seats were the best of any car I’ve owned.