Is this crazy or what?!?

I agree. That’s why I stated: “I guess rotors age just as any other part”. I checked the brake pads and the rotors shortly after I bought the truck. I guess I should have done a brittleness check but I have never done that before.

1 Like

Is that all there was of those rotors? Where did the other friction surface go? If it just wore away how could no one have noticed it when checking the pads or changing them? And wouldn’t it have made a heck of a lot of noise stopping? That kind of wear is easy to see just looking at the edge of the rotor, which you can see with a wheel off, or even when you are underneath changing the oil.

There are a lot of variables

My neighbor’s colleague lives in Burbank, CA, and one of his neighbors turned him in for using his sprinker on the “wrong” day. Because of droughts, he was only allowed to water on certain days of the week, but he had it on every day of the week. The worst part is he doesn’t know exactly which neighbor turned him in, so now he hates all of them . . . :fearful:

As for washing the car at home . . . I’m allowed to wash my car in my driveway. But the hose MUST have a water nozzle on the end, which I can turn off. It’s not permitted to just turn the water on at the spigot and leave it on until I’m done.

Here’s another interesting bit, and it doesn’t make much sense to me. I mentioned that you’re only allowed to turn the sprinklers on during assigned days, and only for so long at a time. That said . . . there’s no limit to how often you can go outside and manually water your lawn with your garden hose, and you can use as much water as you want. You’re paying for the water, of course, but you won’t get fined.

To keep it car-related . . . some communities here don’t allow RVs to be visible from the street. They have to be behind a fence or wall, or if your lot is big enough, behind the house . . . presumably in the back yard . . . where it also can’t be seen from the street.

I’m not sure if that’s because many people consider RVs to be an eyesore, or because RVs are also associated with homeless people. But the homeless people tend to operate very old and beat up RVs, so presumably those wouldn’t be parked in anybody’s driveway. But they might be parked overnight on the streets, so it’s a complicated issue

This stuff happens because the car keeps running and stopping - sort of.

A very great many people, for a lot of reasons, will not take their car into a shop unless it just completely fails. They don’t notice (or ignore) noises, rattles, scraps, squeals ANYthing that would cause most of us here to check. They have some incompetent “guy” (as in, I know a guy…) just throw parts at the car to keep it running.

And this includes some very expensive cars. Notice the drilled rotors on one of the pics I posted. That part ain’t offa no cheap car!

There was no noise until the “big bang” that happened when I did the panic stop. The front part of the rotors were not damaged. The back part on both rotors just snapped and broke apart.

"Why plates can’t be issued by the DMV at a special dealers only location, every day, I don’t know."
Interestingly enough, when I bought a new truck in 2004, the dealer was either stupid or didn’t like me for some reason, so when he filled out the paperwork he put in West Sacramento instead of Sacramento for my address, which I didn’t notice. As a result I never received my plates from DMV. I called DMV and they said since it was more than 6 weeks since I had bought the truck I should go to AAA. Sure enough, at the time (I don’t know if this is still the case), selected AAA offices that have DMV services carried license plates and registration stickers. They hooked my up with both while I was there.
Such is life here in the PRC (People’s Republic of California).