Is this a serious damage?

Sounds like an adventure, i been looking at such videos and reading online how to do it looks like it could be achieved with it.
Oh yes internet and books both has its ups and down…so lets see:))

I don’t think you should use your intention to sell it as a reason to get it fixed. My frugal father told me to never put money into a car I’m about to sell, and I think he was right. The cost to get this fixed won’t be recovered in the selling price. You’d put more money into the repair than you’d lose from the sale price selling it as it is.

I know this isn’t car advice, but if you’re really struggling financially as a student, and you have the clerical skills to land a full time clerical job at a public university, you might be able to land a job that offers free tuition as an employee benefit. Using this benefit, I’ve earned two associate degrees, a bachelor’s degree, and I’m more than halfway through earning a master’s degree, and I haven’t paid tuition or taken on any student loan debt in the process. All I’ve had to pay for is books, and sometimes my employers even covered the cost of books.

At the junior college where I started, I could take all the classes I wanted to in a semester, and as long as I passed with a C or better, tuition was waived. Then I worked at a state university, where I could take up to 6 undergraduate credit hours, and as long as I passed each class with a C or better, I didn’t have to pay any tuition. However, I would have only been allowed to take 3 credit hours for free as a graduate student at that university, and the benefit didn’t cover thesis enrollment. Now I work at a university where I can take 6 graduate-level credit hours, and as long as I earn a B or better, I don’t have to pay any tuition, and it covers thesis. It might take a while to land a job of this type, so it’s something you might want to do on the side while you continue to work elsewhere, but once you land a full time job at a public university, it’s much easier to succeed academically, because you can get time off to cram for an exam and your commute from work to school could be a 5 or 10 minute walk.

Having managed a body shop and having done some of my own paint repair and detailing, I can’t recommend trying too much of a DIY fix on this.

Sometimes less is more. A poor repair attempt can be much more noticeable than what is seen, now. I see them in parking lots and rolling down the road. Yow!

Perhaps rubbing with car wax would make it look better (I’ve done this before), but it’s not possible to assess from a picture.

Are those cracks in the paint I see near what I think is where the bumper fascia curves around the license plate area?

Here’s what I’d do…
Roll by a reputable body shop in your area and have them take a look and make recommendations. If they’re not too friendly (most are) then find one that is. Don’t be afraid to play the “poor college student” card. :smirk_cat:
CSA

1 Like

You can fix it like new, you can fix it so that it is not very noticeable or you can ignore it. Fix it like new will be costly and if you are going to sell it soon, you will not recover the cost.

If you want to make it less noticeable, then a little sandpaper and a spray can of dupli-color would be a good investment, less than $10. Most auto parts stores have a section with body repair supplies. You will probably want to go to the largest parts store in you area as they will be more likely to have a spray can of dupli-color that matches your car.

One can of paint and one pack of emery cloth with different grades is all you need. Start with the 180 or 240 grit, then 400 grit to finish. Then a light spray of paint and it will almost disappear. Maybe two or three light sprays, but don’t over do it. The objective is to make is harder to see from 10 feet away.

1 Like

Maybe a bumper sticker?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t even bother

If I were car shopping, and a car was in fine shape, except for that one little spot on the bumper, that wouldn’t scare me off

But I have to ask . . . if you’re a poor college student, why are you selling this car, in the first place?

Seems to me, if it’s in good shape mechanically, well maintained, and paid off, why don’t you keep driving it a few years longer?

Those are cool stickers, but if you put them on your vehicle, you’re then obligated to obey lane protocol. It would be pretty embarrassing to get caught in the wrong lane with those stickers on your car.

3 Likes

I saw those for the first time yesterday on a road trip, just sharing the fun, but I imagine a better bumper sticker could be had.

1 Like

Hahah it works most of the time, but yeah I found a local guy willing to do it for 260, which is better. So might go with him. DIY is nice but I don’t have much experience and less time with everything going around the graduation time, gets hectic.

Not a poor one but im a international one, so the cost is a bit high for me and I don’t like to ask my parents for money all the time.
As for selling im gonna graduate soon and leave the country so no point taking the car:P

Thought bout it but a pro is what i might go for this time. During summers i might work on my car skills to improve myself, if something like this happens again!

This looks like Honda Accord that is at least 5 years old (2008-2012), I would let the next owner obsess over the minor scrapes.

I’m guessing that even the damage, as is, is a little hard to see from ten feet.

I suppose not everybody is as fussy about their car’s appearance as I am, but I am always after something that is harder to see at, let’s see… maybe a foot or two and… let’s make that “not noticeable,” rather than harder to see. :wink:
CSA

3 Likes

I’d leave well enough alone

I’d rather buy the car with the bumper as shown, which isn’t even a big deal, versus an eye-catching “repair” which really calls attention to itself

I’m not calling anybody’s skills into question, but unless you know what you’re doing, leave well enough alone

Naturally, that applies to many scenarios

3 Likes