Is there a way to improve mpg?

I mainly do city driving, but this past month i did alot of highway and i notice my mpg went from 14.7 to 15.9 and now that im not doing so much highway, it goes from 15.8-16.0 im no mecanic but can driving long distance help in the long run when it comes to gas? How can i keep it from coming down thanks in advance. The vehicle i drive is a grand jeep Cherokee 2006 v6 it says online that it should give me 17 city 22 highway

About all you can really do is try to drive at the lowest practical speed while in the highest possible gear.

Pay close attention to avoid stopping. It’s much more efficient to slightly alter speed to allow a red light to change to green and traffic to get moving before you get there.

But it could be that the incremental stepping up of mpg is the result of your falling into a routine more appropriate to the new driving conditions and you may already be inadvertently driving in a more efficient manner. It would appear so. Bumper to bumper traffic is a nightmare that I avoid whenever possible. It allows virtually ZERO opportunity to use sensible, reasonable methods to increase mpg.

Make sure you have at least the recommended pressure in your tires, drive like your brakes are an emergency device, if a light turns red up ahead slow up enough to hit it green and look far enough down the road to anticipate things that will impede you and don’t tailgate because if you are tailgating you have to keep hitting the brakes. Every bit of energy you turn into heat by applying your brakes is energy you could be using to propel you down the road.

If these things are too tedious for you, thats OK, just accept the fact that you are going to pay a little more for gas, My wife does none of these things, we share a 2014 Camry 4 cylinder and I get about 3 mpg city than she does and 5 highway and it is not that I drive at lower speeds than she does, it is just that I don’t slow down or accelerate as much.

1 Like

Not it does not

The EPA rates your vehicle for 15 MPG City and 19-21 MPG Highway (4WD/2WD). 14.7 MPG is nearly bang-on for what your vehicle is rated for in the city.

Your vehicle is more efficient at steady highway speeds. Fuel economy is lower in the city because of the constant stop-and-go. This is common knowledge. The longer the trip on the highway (generally) the better your fuel economy will be. Most people don’t drive exclusively on the highway nor they drive exclusively in the city, so it’s not exactly shocking that most people tend to get an overall fuel economy number that is higher than city, but less than the highway estimate.

If you’re not resetting your MPG display, then you’re not going to see nearly as big a swing in average fuel economy. My cars have two trip odometers and keep a running average MPG readout for each. One I reset at every fill up. The other I haven’t touched since purchasing the vehicles (it gives a lifetime MPG estimate as a result). My Mustang’s MPG has ranged from 16 MPG for a tank (some adventurous driving along mountain roads) , to an all time high of 27.4 MPG for a tank (road trip) with a lifetime average of 21.2 MPG. My F-150 had had a low of 18 MPG and a high of 20 MPG with a 19.2 lifetime average (only has 1900 miles and has yet to go on a trip of more than 40 miles. )

i google mine and for some reason it gave me 17/22 maybe a mistake from my part but at least it put me at ease here i was thinking something was wrong with my car for giving me 14/15 on city but you sir got it right

The original EPA rating was 17 city/22 highway. Fuel economy ratings for all vehicles were revised in 2008 to reflect modern driving conditions.

The revised rating is 15 city/21 highway, in comparison the Toyota 4Runner 2WD is rated at 16 city/20 highway, SUVs of this type do not get great fuel economy.