Is my friend's Chevy Malibu 2014 Totaled?

@“MG McAnick” both drivers were at fault, no ticket his been given to my friend yet. Person 1 hurt their shoulder Person 2 neck and knee hurts Person 3 neck hurts.

@meaneyedcatz @“MG McAnick” @texases @db4690 @"common sense answer"
The insurance company completely totaled the car and insurance is paying $15,000 out of the $17,000 left on the payment for the car.

That doesn’t see that bad…but it’s really up to the insurance company.

Each state and insurance company has their own guidelines as to what constitutes if it’s totaled or not.

@Matt0326
Have You Checked The Retail Prices (From Dealer Inventory Or Advertisements) For A Comparable (Make/Model/Model-Year/Options/Miles/Condition) Vehicle ? This Should Be Done Whether Or Not A Similar Replacement Vehicle Is Being Considered. Get Written Information Or Hard-Copy Print-Outs.

A settlement should be sufficient to enable one to replace that vehicle with one very similar to the one that was lost.

My son recently totaled his car and was given a fair settlement based on information discussed, above. The settlement also included an amount that would cover sales tax and title fee on a replacement car because that is an expense he would not have otherwise had.

An adjuster from his major insurance company promptly called him to discuss the settlement. His insurance company even included a letter with his settlement check (picked up at local agent’s office) saying that if additional information was discovered that would allow a larger settlement that he should contact them with the information. I would say that a missed trailer hitch or brand new tires could start a conversation, for example, but one would need receipts.

I don’t know if all insurance companies rise to this level to be sure an insured gets a fair shake. Many people don’t realize this is a somewhat negotiable event. In my son’s case the settlement checked out to be very fair and he had to do nothing more, but it’s good to know.

CSA

One of the joys of being upside-down on your car payments… Ouch…

They should feel lucky that they’re only 2 grand in the hole.

So there I was driving the coastal highway in CA, some LA Doctor letting his unlicenced son drive, Son freaks and slams on the brakes after rounding a turn, I see him, and could not stop in time, sure skid marks, Due to wet pavement and a downhill grade. I rear ended him, only major damage my ranchero bumper pushed in 2" and then the fan shredded the radiator, towed to Carmel,was looking good due to a CA law citing unnecessary stopping, until they 3 months later 1 day prior to court date decided to sue for whiplash. Allstate paid them off and dropped me. Sold the ranchero for $125 to the towing shop and bought a 21 day bus pass, saw some great sights!

It pays to know the market value of your car. My parents bought aa new Rambler in 1960. A Semi rear ended the car in 1963. My mother was clever enough to find a similar 1960 Rambler at the dealer where the original Rambler was purchased… When the insurance company for the trucking company tried to give them a low ball offer, my mother held out for thereplacement Rambler she had located. The wrecked Rambler had 36,000 miles, 4 new tires and a,new battery. The replacement had 45,000 miles, 2 new tires and the original battery. The insurance company negotiated a price with the Rambler dealer and my parents also held out for an allowance for 2 new tires, a new battery and a 10,000 mile allowance for the extra miles. I went. through a similar experiencewhen we owned a,1988 Ford Taurus that was totaled when an older driver got out of her lane and hit the car head on. I checked prices in my adea, for an 8 year old Taurus. The prices ranged from $3900_to. $4200. The insurance company of the woman who hit the Taurus wanted to settle for $3125. I told them that they could find me an equivalent car or give me the $4000. They gave me the $4000.
Now both times I was dealing with the other party’s insurance. I was hit in my 25 year old Oldsmobile by a womqn who had shoplifted a dozen candles from HobbyLobby. She was chased out the door by the manger and was fleeing the scene in her car when she bumped my car. I did get the license number of her vehicle. She also hit another car on her escape. The police were summoned and I was told I had to report the.incident to my insurance company even though I didn’t have collision coverage. A couple of. days,after I reported the incident, my insurance company called and said that the woman that hit me wasn’t insured, but that my uuninsured motorist coverage would take care of it and they would get back with me. A couple of days after that I got a call from the adjusted while,I,was,at work. She was,on her mobile phone and in the parking lot inspecting my car and wanted me to come.to the parking lot. She cut me a check on the spot. I assumed that the car, though driveable, waas, totaled. Mrs. Triedaq had been after me to get rid of the car. I,accepted the check and handed the keys to the adjuster and,asked her,where to send the title. She handed back the keys and said “It’s still your car, bub. Fix it or.buy yourself some beer”. She smiled and drove off. I think I used the money to go Christmas shopping for Mrs. Triedaq.

Wow. Plenty of other damage not evident in the photo. Hope it all works out well for your buddy other than being upside down.

I’ve always said that “gap insurance”, often offered at the time of sale, was the dealer’s way of telling the customer that they were paying too much for the car. This is a good example of that maxim in action.

What are comparable used cars selling for in your area? As stated above, your friend may be able to hold out for a better settlement, unless he or she is insured by an insurance company represented by a white clad female with dark hair. In my experience, they’ve never completely satisfied a ‘total’ claimant. (Anyone else?)

After A Collision You Need An Agent, Not An E-Gent.
CSA

@meaneyedcatz

“Wow. Plenty of other damage not evident in the photo”

You did see that apparently every single airbag in the vehicle was deployed . . . yes?

I think when airbags are involved, they total the car much faster that anything else. Nobody wants to take responsibility for a complicated part repair/replacement.

There is a shadow in the picture that suggests that the drivers airbag deployed but no evidence that the passenger airbag or seat belt pretensioner deployed.

A side impact can crack the transaxle housing, a $5,000 plus expense.

It appears to not exceed 75% of wholesale value. Malibu is common enough that a slightly used door, fender etc is possible with near entire assemblies.

No matter what the insurance company does, odds are that car will be back on the road in the near future although it may have a branded title.

“It appears to not exceed 75% of wholesale value. Malibu is common enough that a slightly used door, fender etc is possible with near entire assemblies.”

Unfortunately, I managed a body shop once, for 2 years. Hanging those external body parts and adding in refinishing expense is only a relatively minor parts cost and the least labor intensive part of the repairs, but here are many more repair expenses lurking beneath the cosmetics. Line after line it all adds up.

CSA