Is It Better To Lease or Purchase New Cars?

I was comparing 26k van to 24k car, goes to and from is all that matters to us. We are laeasing a car, sold the van, please review previous posts if you wish to add salient viewpoints.

I know, but he said his insurance did not go up so he must be carrying collision too.

An 11 tear old van would no longer be $26000 today, and it is bigger. Still apples to oranges.

What kind of $24000 car can you lease for a true $200 a month. Was there no lease fee, do you live in a state with sales tax. The only true sign and drive leases I have see around here in the past 2 years were Honda Civics at $209.

Did you have a trade in?

I am not berating you for the decision you made to lease. I am glad it makes you happy. Just donā€™t try to convince yourself and me it is cheaper by faulty logic.

If you had bought and used a car for 11 years it would have been cheaper than the van.

Totally agree with you here bro!

The cost of cars has risen faster than our wages?

edit: FINALLY figured out the scripting error the first time around.

I think you have to define better to know the answer.

For my wife it is better to lease a car, minimize the chances of a breakdown, avoid time at the shop for tires brakes and fluids other than oil, as she drives 2 to 3k under the lease allowance per year, and yes it may not be the most cost effective but than again it may be, roll the dice. Most of her trips are 240 mile to visit her 92 year old mom

Now for me used car, occasional repairs starter alternator etc. I do myself, could save money, but my shop is across the street from my work, so not much of an inconvenience for maintenance, more cost effective, maybe maybe not, roll the dice.

As state previously lease price is less than overall cost per month for previous car of wifes, but better for her is different than better for me.

Mr. bscar2, you may have posted something worth reading but speaking for myself if I have to use a scroll bar I will just read something else.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not used to using this boardā€™s setup.
I was trying to quote someone previously and thatā€™s what happened. Iā€™ve tried to edit my post, but it doesnā€™t seem to be working as I planned. Heck, I was gonna reply that on one of my previous visits and the text was saved from then in this post.

Oh for Peteā€™s sake. Another old thread that needs to fade away.

1 Like

But it is a question that gets asked quite often on here, though.

Yes, that is true. But why not wait until it is actually asked so all the different opinionā€™s can be made.

It is a valid question and discussion point, still relevant, some people hate old threads some people like them, I care not, if it is a topic worthy of discussion to me I will respond.

ā€œOh for Peteā€™s sake. Another old thread that needs to fade away.ā€ @volvo_v70

I agree

@cdaquila

canā€™t we just make this thread go away

hereā€™s a suggestion :wink:

@VOLVO_V70 and @db4690, thank you for pointing this out but I tend to agree with @barkydog. @bscar2 - itā€™s okay, youā€™ll get used to the new forum platform. I donā€™t see why this thread needs to go away more than any others simply because of its age. Plus, how do threads go away? People stop posting in them. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, people stop posting

But then somebody will resurrect a 6 year old discussion, and before you know it, we will respond to peopleā€™s OLD comments

6 year old discussions should NOT be resurrected, and nobodyā€™s changing my mind on that

1 Like

It was something silly and deleting a single space is what cleared the problem up.

1 Like

As long as we are able to drive all the luxury, horse power and status we deserve it makes no difference how it is financed. Carpe diem is the key to happiness.

Hey guys! I am pretty much new to this but would really love to hear your opinion if itā€™s worth for me to buy a car or just lease? I would mainly just the car for driving to work everyday.

Leasing is the single most expensive way to own a car. Period

Buying a 3 year old used car in good condition is the lease expensive way to own a nice car. Owning beaters can be cheaper yet but they come with greater risk of an expensive repair since these cars are near the end of life.

This article covers ā€œniceā€ cars;

I agree! However under certain conditions it makes sense. My neighborā€™s wife has a business and deducts leasing expenses directly as operating costs. Her business requires a relatively new and very clean vehicle.

At the end of the 3 year lease, she BUYS the car at a very attractive ā€œbuyoutā€ price, saving the leasing company the problem of selling it. She then cleans the car up and puts it up for sale and makes a tidy profit!

I agree that for nearly all car owners, leasing is very expensive.