Is EV better than gas for only very short around-town trips?

A non-plug-in hybrid might be the better option.
One issue brought up by other posters, learning all the functions on a new car, such as touch screen controls if equipped.

I can answer that. If she needs to go 25 miles or on the highway, she will be getting me, her daughter, to drive her.

She has a house with a garage. My husband can install a charger.

Good point re the physical effort of plugging in. Given her range, I think the standard charger is fine, in terms of time to charge.

Answering a few at onceā€“my mom has been making noises for the last year about getting a new car, so not my idea. My idea is maybe EV would be better for her, but I wanted to get input on that before bothering to suggest it. $$ she can easily afford a quite expensive car. I am always nagging her to spend a bit more money, enjoy it while she can (yes, Mom, take the cruise, no, it is not too expensive, you didnā€™t get to go anywhere last year). In fact, she might very well love the idea of the EV tax credit balancing out taxes on her IRA RMDs. She hates the IRS. Her memory is pretty good and I am not worried about her remembering to charge. Upgrading to any new car will be a learning challenge, yes, I agree with all those comments, but the Camry has been having more issues lately, there are some repair items coming up that the mechanic recommends. If she decides she wants a new car, I would prefer her learning a modern car now rather than later. If she wants a new car, she will be more motivated to learn. The Camry has been in twice to the mechanic for the heat. The smell he says was due to a fluid change previously and was taking time to burn off. The temp is fine, he says. My mom was concerned because it didnā€™t used to have this problem. But she does drive it for shorter trips than she used to. Might be pandemic lockdown related. I am just thinking about what would fit her driving habits, would not want a new car that is similarly stressed by only short trips around town.

Uber? Cannot see my mom happy about riding in a car with a stranger in Covid America. Sheā€™s in good health but has already gotten a booster shot, very mask conscious.

I appreciate all your comments and info. You are giving me a lot to think about.

If you investigate EVs, check this site for rebate info. There may be federal and state incentives, depending on which one she chooses.