Is a cracked engine block always the end?

If you need a new engine for a 14 year old car in the northeast the method I like best is finding a car with that engine going to the junkyard because of rust. You can hear the engine, drive it and even do a compression test. They usually cost less than a used engine. Plus, you can fill your storage shed or garage rafters with used parts.

A cracked engine block can be repaired. Economics does not make this feasible though unless it’s a rare, highly desireable, and valuable engine like a 426 Hemi or something of that nature.
A garden variety VW engine that allegedly has a cracked block means another engine is the best bet.

Unless there’s some specific reason why the block has been diagnosed as cracked, the post comes across as a bit of a shotgun approach due to having the heater core and radiator thrown into the mix also.

I agree that another opinion is needed.

I also think that it is worth trying JB weld as the cost to repair is relatively low, and it just might work. Is it a long term solution? No, but we’re talking a 14 year old car with unknown mileage. But it might work long enough to get a replacement vehicle.

The problem with JB Weld is the repair area needs to be clean and dry. Also, in order to get the best seal, the JB Weld needs to penetrate the crack. This could mean drilling or grinding the crack to widen it enough to get the metal epoxy into the crack. Just on the surface will not guarantee a seal and will probably pop off like a scab. Cracks also need the ends drilled out to prevent the crack from growing.

I’ve used JB Weld to fix cracks and voids. My last big job was a void in a cylinder head that cracked open and allowed coolant to escape right into a exhaust port within the head. Being desperate at the time, I managed to widen the crack to expose the void, and fill the void with a good amount of JB Weld. I used a shop light to help cure the epoxy for a full 24 hours before re-assembly. That worked for the last 3 years I owned that truck.

I am concerned somebody would JB weld a cracked block, and if it seemed to hold reasonably well, sell the car without disclosing what happened

Is a cracked engine block always the end?
On a 14 yr. old Jetta with all those other problems the answer is a resounding YES.

I think you owe all responders some info on your maintenance practices. You’ve totaled two engines, plus a radiator and heater core if your mechanic is to be believed.
How often do you change oil? Coolant? How many miles on the car?

I have had good luck with MIG welding the newer cast blocks. I have done Chevy V8’s and some Dodge 4 clys. The last Chevy I did over 15 years ago and it is sill going with no leaks. Its been just a plow truck for the last 8 years. Before that My Uncle put 80,000 plus on it. In your case if it is cracked I would take it out if there is not a lot of room around the crack. A good welder can fix it. Now is worth it? In my book no. I would get a new/used engine or car.

JB weld was originaly developed for farmers that saved money by not putting antifreeze in their flathead Ford equioment engines and planned to drain the water out before winter but sometimes got caught by surprise. It was used mainly on head cracks.
Don’t blame the farmers too much, before ethelene glycol was used, antifreeze was alcohol based (Zerone) and evaporated and had to be continually tested and the proper mixture restored.

But if the engine block is aluminum alloy . . . as many are nowadays . . . it’s not so simple

From what I understand, aluminum alloy rims and engine blocks aren’t easy to weld

Actually aluminum is easy to weld. You would be surprised at how many aluminum heads and blocks had cracks in them at the factory and were welded. I used to work in a foundry that cast aluminum heads for several manufacturers. Ford was the only manufacturer that did not allow welding, all Ford heads with cracks had to go back into the furnace.

The VW (Audi) 1.8T engine has a cast iron block, aluminum head.

A cracked engine block always spells the end for a 14 year old Jetta.

It’s technically possible to repair. But on a VW engine it would be a complete waste of money. It’d be cheaper and better to order a rebuilt engine (I recommend a “long block”).

Many years ago my friend had a cracked block in his Renault. He cleaned the area and roughed it up and applied fiberglass cloth and resin. It actually worked. If it’s easily accessible to make the repair. Try it. You’ve nothing to loose but a little time and money

I would think fiberglass a total waste of time. I f I had to do a backyard fix I would pick jbweld or furnace repair stuff,

Since most people are saying the engine is shot anyway, I vote the OP tries a JB Weld repair as an experiment. If it works for only 6 months, well that’s 6 more months of driving, basically for free. And who knows? Maybe it lasts a year.

Barkydog- I wouldn’t have believed it either. I watched him do it while shaking my head and it worked. You’d think it wouldn’t hold up to the heat. It didn’t fail on him.

Wow I sure have a problem with my posts disappearing,was the the first poster on a defense site on a thread and my post didnt last 2 minutes-Kevin (Would enquire as to who is the moderator,probaly pointless ,some of these cats have been proven wrong)

It would be interesting to have the OP clarify how this crack in the block was determined and whether or not it’s visible; or even whether or not the crack diagnosis is just a guess.