Iridium vs Platinum for honda accord 2002

Hello everyone, I’m about to replace my spark plugs in my car this weekend. I happen to come upon NGK iridium ZFR5FIX-11 spark plugs in my dad’s garage today. I was surprised that he had these spark plugs! My manual’s specs are NGK: PZFR5F-11 and Denso: PKJ16CR-L11. I was going to buy NGK: PZFR5F-11. They’re OEM for my car. Is it ok to go with the NGK iridium ZFR5Fix-11? This way it won’t cost me a thing and they won’t go to waste. Would this be ok to put in my car even though spec did not mention that type? Online, I read that it fits my car. Is iridium better than platinum?

Hate to buy some and have these go to waste!!! thank you for your replies and much respect!!!

car: honda accord 2002 ex 4 cyc 2.3L automatic 104,400miles.

thanks again, hondagirl

Before using those plugs you need to check a few things. This involves the heat range, the plug nose design, etc. Using the wrong plug can possibly cause engine damage.
Either check with an auto parts house or the website for the spark plug manufacturers about this issue and proceed carefully.

Iridium will last longer than platinum or regular copper core plugs but they will not make your car perform better or increase the fuel mileage.

If the plugs in your car now have never been changed then proceed carefully there too. Leaving plugs in this long can cause them to seize in the threads and actually, plugs should never be left in there for that long a time span. When removed the threads in the cylinder head may be damaged or stripped entirely out and this necessitates a spark plug hole repair, which can be a bit dicey if you have never done this.
I’m not saying that this WILL occur; only that it’s possible and does happen.

Use anti-seize compound on the threads of the new plugs. Hope that helps.

I’m familiar with NGK spark plug codes, and, YES, these plugs are the correct size and heat range for your Honda. They should work just fine.

But, monitor your car’s performance once they are in. Keep track of the fuel mileage and note any performance problems. Some cars just do not like a change in the materials of the spark plug. Sometimes changes like this may perform badly, since the different materials may put different demands on the ignition system that the ignition system may not be able to provide adequately.

If you notice any performance or fuel mileage problems, just put back in the OEM plugs, and all should be fine.