Intermittent check engine light

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege with 76,000 miles. Twice now in the past month the check engine light has come on … and then 15-30 miles later, it goes away. This is making me crazy. Is there something wrong with the car or not? Now I worry every time it hiccups (which it is doing on occasion) that I’m killing the car. ???

Since the light is intermittent, I would not panic over it.
Get the diagnostic code and post it here. You could have, for example, a marginal oxygen sensor that will intermittently set a code and clear itself later.

You can still get the code read, even if the light is off. Just try to have it done within a couple of days since the light was on.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Thank you! I will have my mechanic search for the code and let you know what happens.

I knew you were going to say that, not slighting your answer though.