Intermittant Miss

My 1994 Corolla with 85k mikes has an infrequent misfire. Every day or so, the engine will misfire to the point the engine will die at speeds below approx 40mph or will buck and continue on at higher level speeds. The “check engine” will briefly flicker in both cases. The plugs, wires, cap and rotor are new. I pulled voltage and resistence data on the distributor - all within spec. What else could cause this type of misfire?

A fuel problem can cause a misfire. Is the misfire random or limited to one cylinder?

I agree that it’s probably fuel related. Have your fuel pump pressure checked as well as your fuel filter. A plugged fuel filter will cause the symptoms that you are having. Try loosening your fuel cap as well. A plugged vent on the cap may cause this problem also.

The misfire is random. At times, I have gone a few days without incident. When it dies, I can restart the car with no trouble. Another detail I forgot to mention is the trouble always appears after the car reaches normal operating temp. I agree about the possibility of a fuel delivery issue. Next on the list is to replace the filter as it has not been replaced.

Thank you. Another detail I forgot to mention is the trouble always appears after the car reaches normal operating temp. Next on the list is to replace the filter as it has not been replaced as far as I can tell.