Intermitent hard start 02 Explorer 4.0

This has happened about once a day now for the last week. Turn the key and it fires for just a second. Then … The truck is hard to start, working the gas pedal seems to help. It’s kind of like the days of carbed vehicles where you had to “catch it” just right. Can be on a cold or warm start-up. Hot starts are no problem (so far). It cranks fine, no check engine lights! Once it does “catch” you need to keep your foot in it a little while before it will idle on its own. It does not have a driveability problem. Everything “looks” ok , no obvious bad connectors or leaky vac hoses. I’m sure I could fix this if I knew where to look! Anybody got an idea?? Thanks in advance!

The next time you go to start the engine and you know this problem is going to occur, just turn the ignition switch to the run position so that the dash lights come on for a second or two, and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a half a dozen times and then try starting the engine.

If this helps in getting the engine started, it indicates that the pulsator valve in the fuel pump assembly is allowing fuel to drain back into the gas tank.

Tester