Interior modifications--not worth it?

Sorry if I’m double posting–I wrote a reply that seemed to disappear. Yes, I agree. I’m leaning toward trading.

It’s difficult for engineers to find a compromise between safety and comfort, mostly because safety is the thing they’re gonna focus most of their attention on.
Leave no vehicle untested. Well, no vehicle in your price range anyways. I’m sure a Rolls Royce would be comfortable, but who wants a mortgage on their car? :stuck_out_tongue:

Accords are popular because they do such a good job of making a vehicle comfortable for so many people. You aren’t one. IMO, cut your losses, take your time trying out others and trade. Modifications, if they don’t work could lesson the value of the car.
As suggested, you may just have to resign yourself to a car that offers more variation in adjustments. IMO, I would look at some of the Ford products (Taurus for one first). You also may be one who prefers more upright seating (as I do) that few cars but a larger SUV can offer.

I would drive other vehicles. Also, drive other Hondas. You might have to trade reliability for comfort, unfortunately.

I have personally made the same mistake. I bought a Corolla in 2005 and discovered that it was simply too unconfortable for my bad back and nothing I could do could fix it. It was crippling me.

I traded it after only two months for my current car, a Scion tC, and the tC fits me perfectly. That bad choice cost me $2500, but I “wrote it off” in my mind as a “medical expense”. It was the best $2500 I ever spent. For that money I not only got my health back, I also got a car I could drive AND an education on the importance of long, long test drives.

I thought about this at work the other day, but didn’t get around to checking online. How about having a custom seat made for your car instead of buying a new one? This way you’re only out a grand at most, maybe.
http://www.thejoieofseating.com/race-seat-measurement-guide.html
Give those guys a call and see what their prices are

Gosh, you guys. I’m pretty young, but I can’t imagine getting rid of a new car because of a steering wheel or seat discomfort. They made steering wheel grips and seat pads for this issue - surely somebody would at least be able to swap the material on your steering wheel?