Insurance vs Body Shop q

My wife was in a low speed crash where she dented the hood amongst other damage.

The insurance states they can fix the aluminum hood and allowed extra time for it. The body shop says they can try but behind difficult to work with and if messed up hood is junk. Is this true? Do insurance companies fork out more if body shop mucks up?

Body shop also stated headlight spec’ed non-OEM does not work typically, you need OEM. The shop specializes in BMW, MB and Subaru(mine).

Not knowing what insurance company is involved, this is a good question to ask the insurance company. Perhaps the body shop manager and you be together when the call is made, so both clearly understand the insurance company response.

Call the claims adjuster and ask what happens if the repair is not successfu and a replacement hood is required. Will the insurance company authorize additional monies based on that unsuccessful outcome? That answer should guide your next response. Your goal is to make sure that the car is properly repaired at no additional cost to you, with no pain or additiional legal action on your part.

I have seen instances where the company pays after an unsuccessful repair, but it has never happened to me. My trusted body shop does all this negotiation with the insurance company without my intervention.

Find a different body shop to do the work. Maybe the dealers body shop.

I don’t know if Aluminum is that difficult to work with or not. I’d at least get a different opinion.

Aluminum body panels are hard to repair. A hood even in steal is had to get right sometimes. It is most times cheaper to replace a hood than it to to fix it. As for the after market headlight Some don’t fit as well as OEM. I would check your insurance policy. You my have a clause that states what kind of parts can be used or if you have a choice. If it was me I would state I want the hood replaced. Also some state’s have laws that state you have a choice as to oem or after market parts.

I have an aftermarket tail light on my 4runner.

It’s made by the same company that makes them for Toyota. It’s EXACTLY the same…Just cost me $200 LESS.

It’s not your money. If the repair doesn’t work, insist on a new hood. You don’t have to accept a repair if it isn’t as good as new. You can express your concern to the insurer and make sure that they know that it has to look now after the repair.

The shop can attempt to repair but they might need to replace, it’s not a big deal. Often it’s just a phone call, photo and invoice. The rub might be that the shop might not get paid for attempting to repair, which they ought to be paid for. And yes, aluminum is more difficult to repair.

Do insurance companies fork out more if body shop mucks up?
Mucks up the repair? Please keep in mind that when a repair is written and it should have been written as replace thats not the error of the shop. Your sentence implies the shop messed up by not repairing good enough.

Body shop also stated headlight spec’ed non-OEM does not work typically, you need OEM…that means it is a new aftermarket. It will work fine. NA headlamps normally fit fine and they also light up, therefore they work. It does not cost as much so the shop does not make as much on that one part.

For clarity the vehicle has not gone into body shop which is dealer preferred Jag, BMW, MB and Subaru shop.
Owner looked at estimate from progressive and noted those items. The good thing is when I mentioned using this repair shop the adjuster likes the owner.

So it sounds like I do not need to get involved except in accepting repair job.

I’ve never used an aftermarket headlight assembly, but I have used aftermarket fenders. Sometimes the holes are not in exactly the correct position and require extra work to make them fit properly and make the body lines align correctly. I live in KY and it’s state law that if the owner of the vehicle requests OEM parts the insurance company is required to conform to the owners request. If you want parts that will fit correctly right out of the box I’d recommend OEM, and checking the laws in your state. I have one car that I bought used after an accident that required a new grill and hood it was repaired with aftermarket parts and there’s a noticeable difference in the fit quality of the aftermarket parts and OEM. Wide gaps where there should be narrow ones, etc.

If your ins. co. is worth a salt they will require aftermarket parts to be certified by CAPA or AQRP. Some insurers have their own certification program too. They are required to be exact replacements to the OEM part.