Inferred Warranty

If it’s a new engine, is it complete, or just the block? And are they paying for a new, rebuilt, or used engine? I know that you said “new”, and I want to establish if it truly is new. I’m sure that they discussed the issue with your dealer. It seems to me that some of the credit goes to the dealer for opining that it was an inherent flaw. I like GM (I have 2 now) and especially the newer Cadillacs. I’ll certainly give them a good look when my wife moves from van driver to car driver, and this episode has a lot to do with it. I hope that the General is listening.

While it’s not really on the subject of the OP, there’s an easy way to remember the difference between imply and infer: the speaker implies, the listener infers.

There goes my stocks.

GM stock is currently selling for less than $ 11.00 per share. Unless you bought it at its all-time low of around $8.50, I think that your stock “went” a long time ago, unfortunately.

It goes to show that a good dealer with good factory backing can do what it takes to keep customers coming back.
I had a 90 Lincoln that had a tranny failure about 10k and 2 years after warranty expired. A call to Lincoln and I had a new tranny, no charge. Even gave me a loaner car…What a deal.
That’s why I have a new 2007 MKX now.
Paul

I’d still like to hear a number on the labor though. Sometimes a factory “freebie” may not really be free at all except through perception.
It may not be a money maker for the factory but it also may not be a money losing deal either.

Final update. Was told by the service manager, whom I have known for 9 years, was that the deal maker was that I was a “good customer”, with two vehicles from that dealership, and that I had all my maintenance done there. I also have made it a point to get to know the service managers (I have a different one for my GMC Sierra) and make friends with them. This has paid off several times. No doubt more expensive than an independent mechanic, but it does give me factory backup. I wonder how hard it would be for an independent to find a Northstar engine. The dealers price for installation of the new engine is 8K. 2K of that is the labor, which I will pay.

Thanks for the update.

This says a lot for GM, American business, and your loyalty to the dealer, and very refreshing in amongst the horror stories pertaining to car owners.

Go GM! (America…What a country!)

Agree; this is the type of settlement one would expect from a reputable company with a customer service focus. When we got a free new gearbox and drive shaft for our out-of-warranty Maytag washer, it was that kind of service that made us by another Maytag when the old one gave out after 20 years.

By contrast I gather that Toyota will honor warranties, but not much more.