Inferior tires on new vehicles

Over the years I’ve found it’s really difficult to get a good handle on quality tires that work best for your individual application. That’s true even consulting tire tests from CR and others. For me, the most reliable purchases in tires that best fit my needs have been from local independents, and not the wholesale stores or dealers that try to push certain products. My favorite little shop has not steered me wrong for over 20 years. They live in the area, depend upon their reputation and want happy repeat customers and not just immediate profit.
Just a tire thought…

I fully agree with dagosa’s endorsement for local independent tire dealers. I stopped using the wholesale tire stores years ago. You can’t beat the honesty, service, and prices the local independents provide.

Wow!! Thanks for all the great responses. I really learned something (mainly that I shouldn’t jump to conclusions after being BS’ed by a person trying to sell me tires). I have owned probably a dozen new vehicles and have never taken tire rotation seriously. I am regular about changing oil, checking tire pressure, etc., but never considered that rotation was important.

Here are answers to questions people have asked:

My Tacoma is 2-wheel drive.
The tires are Firestone Destination LE.
The recommended rotation is 5000 miles.

I went back to the dealer and they finally looked at the truck and judged that the tires were about halfway worn out. I had them rotate the tires and hope that I will get close to the 60,00 miles that these tires are supposed to get.

Thanks again for your responses!!

The main tire design drivers in high volume cars are (1) cost and (2) fuel economy. Both my Impala and Caprice had standard tires that were on the small side P205/70, and had factory recommended tire pressure of 35 psi! to get the rolling resistance lowest and squeak through the CAFE standards. Both cars had optional P225 tires for better traction and longer life.

As a result, the OEM tires (standard) leave a bit to be desired form a ride, noise, and traction point of view. But they are NOT SUBSTADARD IN QUALITY! On low volume luxury cars, the fuel efficiency takes a back seat to ride, road holding and low noise. As the CFE standards tighten, this situation will get worse. The standard tires on a Prius, for instance, are not great. Everything here is sacrificed for fuel economy.

The reason many posters recommend winter tires on this forum is that the standard factory “all seasons” have to sacrifice traction for fuel economy. I use Michelin X-ICE in the winter for best traction and Michelin X Standard in the summer for long life and fuel economy.

I agree with all your points, but specifically wanted to comment on the CAFE point. I’m afraid you’re right, as CAFE requirements tighten more compromises will be made in tires by manufacturers in the interest of avoiding penalties. They’ll have no choice.

And there may end up being another factor involved: ethanol. As/if that becomes more of a requirement for fuel additive, its adverse effect on fuel economy may just make a bit more diffficult the manufacturers’ challange. They’ll be looking for every trick they can find to offset ethanol’s effects in combination with the more stringent fuel efficiency requirements.