Inconsistent Braking

Back here again . . .

The day Helene came thru and destroyed Western NC, I actually got my brake fluid replaced. Didn’t know how long it been since it was changed out so I had it changed. Felt the difference right away in a good way. Last several days however, I noticed a slight spongey feel to the brake pedal here and there. Slowly it got worse until yesterday, a few times I pushed the pedal down closer to the floor before the brakes engaged. But then for awhile the pedal will feel normal. Taking it back to the place that serviced it tomorrow but this feels more like air in the line then the master cylinder going out. Could still be the master, but the inconsistency of it makes me feel like its not.

Thoughts?
04 Dakota V6

I’m glad you made it through Helene. What a terrible situation out there.

I’m also glad you’re taking this back to the shop.

First thought is…on a 20 year old Chrysler product, it could be a lot of things.

1 Like

On a 20 year old SUV my bet is the master cylinder is going out.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum…

Has the fluid level changed/dropped any??

Possible master cylinder as mentioned, could be a loose wheel bearing causing a caliper issue… Just needs to be properly checked out…

I concur w/the faulty master brake cylinder idea. It’s not unusual for me to have to replace the MC after I do a diy’er brake repair.

The rear brakes could be totally worn out, causing leakage, check fluid level again. I agree with the others.

1 Like