In search of a manly, professional family car--does it exist?

@triedaq

orange big box mower

Sounds like a Husqvarna. Your friend’s neighbors were foolish; much like a BMW, Husqvarna is a very expensive lawn tractor that does not work as well as less expensive brands. It should have fit right in.

yeah I bought a Husqvarna self propelled mower and am very disappointed. should have stuck with troy-bilt

Thank you all for your humor, wisdom and advice. It’s been really helpful to hear perspectives of other car talk folks. My husband is actually a very humble and easy-going guy who would probably be fine with driving a minivan if that was the best option for us. We’ve just had a hard time deciding what exactly is the best option so I appreciate all the ideas here. I think we’ll need to test-drive quite a few different types of cars (we will most certainly check out some of the recommendations on this post and I am hoping he doesn’t see the Munster historic car photo because he would spend every penny in the bank for that one. He his a history professor!). Keep the good thoughts coming.

how about a vintage wagon?

Woo Hoo! 10 mpg and no safety features!

ok, bad idea

Hahahah I love that comment about the dog. When I got mine (found somebody who’s dog got pregnant and was looking for good homes for the puppies) I was walking him and a lady walking her dog across the street said “Oh where did you get him?” I said I found him on craigslist. She replies “You know you’re not supposed to do that” Right lady. Guess I’ll throw him away.

Or another, walking her big dog, mine was a little puppy at the time who hid behind my legs. She says in a serious tone “Why is he so fearful?” Obviously he was a puppy and intimidated by her dog, but what was I going to say “because I beat him!”

I love dogs but dog people - in my experience dog women - are genuine pains in the ass.

OK sorry, off topic. Continue!

Vintage wagons are AWSOME. But I agree probably not in the OP’s best interest.

If gas wasn’t an issue, the ultimate manly family vehicle in my opinion is a 4 door truck. Especially a 4x4 long bed with a camper shell. That would cover every outing, anywhere.

I agree. A man who refuses to buy the most practical and safest vehicle for his children because he imagines he will look like a dad instead of a manly man isn’t a manly man. He is a whiner.

A four door truck with a long bed would not fit into most parking spaces. Seriously, I wonder how so many people end up with vehicles that are too large for them to handle in city living.

I ll tell you what, my two 75 ford supercabs only had two doors, but a full backseat. they were awesome family vehicles. plenty of room for a baseball team, for a sofa, for moving, for camping and fishing. going to the dump, whatever. great vehicles.

they didn t have all the fancy safety stuff, but they were extremely safe, and I would have rather been in a wreck with them, than a little econobox with 50 airbags.

Well I’m proud to see you were up to the task LDub. You are now among the few who took the best we could throw at you and kept on coming. There will be a special prize for you as soon as the budget is passed. Thanks for playing and good luck.

I understand the husband’s viewpoint. For a number of years my wife and I had a Mercury Sable station wagon and for a guy who likes brute power and sportiness that wagon was the anti-Christ for me. Good car but seriously uncool. The more miles it accrued the lesser I felt…

@Triedaq, there were 2 kinds of prof as far as I was concerned. Those who were there to do whatever to further their wealth. Teaching was just a mandatory obligation. I think they would be better off in a research institute instead of a school. Then there are those who care enough to learn your name even in an intro physics course designed to weed out physics majors. Those are the prof we should have more of. Btw, that guy had a plastic hip, a cane, and a Subaru outback with a stick. It’s not all about what you drive

@chunkyazian–I agree with you about profs. I saw quite a change in the university where I spent my career. When I began my career in 1965, we were told that research was great, but it had better not detract from our teaching. When I retired in 2011, new faculty had better be able to show research results and have brought in grant funding or there was no tenure. The grant funding was most important because the institution took more than 40% for overhead. This overhead supported more administrators.

Back to vehicles–a vehicle I would like to own is a Chevrolet Suburban, particularly when I am transporting my fellow musicians and their instruments. However, for much of my driving when I am the only person in the vehicle, the Suburban would be overkill. Most of the time, I can squeeze everyone and their instruments in the Sienna and the gasoline mileage is reasonable. The Sienna is a reasonable compromise for me between a small car like a Corolla for my around town driving and the times I need a large vehicle.

My Expedition EL has been great for three kids.
When we got them five years ago there were two car seats permanently mounted in the middle row and three would fit beautifully when the grand kids visited.
The third row would fold out for three more of the visiting family.

Now that the three are older ( 9, 11 & 15 ) theres enough space for them and all their stuff. ( and friends )
When we take an all day shopping/doctor trip to Albuquerque we use every inch.
The third row is the girl zone where the 15 year old moves in for the day ( teddy bear, pillow, blanket, change of clothes, munchies, drinks, laptop, phone, cds, or even a friend along, etc )
The middle is the boy’s with the drink cooler between them and their video games.
Plus all the room for all the stuff we get at Costco.
When the oldest daughter visits with the grand kids…the is now too small. This is my biggest gripe about the center console taking up space that could be another seat belt and the Expe could seat nine :frowning:

Still, with multiple babies and small children in car seats, the good ol’ minivan is so practical.

The Ford Flex isn’t as tall as a traditional SUV or a van. It’s the closest thing to an old fashioned full-size station wagon.

avalanche!

I also remember the Flex got rave reviews from the automotive press when it was introduced. Plus, I kind of liked those ribs down the side. if the OP could pick up a low miles used one, I bet it would do the trick. Not a minivan, not your typical SUV. Plus, I think with those ribs, it has kind of a rugged “manly” look to it.

Buddies brother had a tahoe that needed to be retired, but he needed space to move his great dane. He got a ford flex and loves it

The Chrysler 300 is a good choice but not for the reasons many would suggest. It is manly in the sense that he will have to be wrenching on it more frequently than other competing makes. He can get his hands dirty and oily and have the hood up doing things.

Seriously, look at the repair/problem frequency of Chrysler brands vs. all the others. I like they way a lot of their cars run and look but wouldn’t want to own one.