In general, is it worth trying to maintain a vehicle that has more than 100,000 miles or are you better off with a newer car?

I live in Minnesota. Some of our streets turn white in the winter because they dump so much salt on them. I have never had a wheel “bust off” due to “no more frame attachment.” Ever. And one of my vehicles is 32 years old. Another is 29. A third is 27. There are a lot of old cars running around up here and by your statements you’d think there would be wheels flying left and right. They’re not.

I get that you’re angry and you want to spread that anger all over the internet, but you’re on a forum with a lot of car people, many of whom are professional car people, so spreading wild conspiracy theories on whatever’s annoying you about cars this week isn’t really gonna get you very far here.

The secret is to spread car conspiracy theories on non-car forums, and tell us the conspiracy theories about stuff we don’t know much about. You’ll have a much better chance at convincing people of the crazy that way.

4 Likes

Either you don’t know how to use this website or you purposely tried to add comments that make it look like I made them.

You’re the one who said to reach 300k miles one needs to drive 50k miles a year…NOT ME.

Why NOT? You should learn how to maintain them or buy more reliable vehicles.

Where did I say that? Please show me!

Never said cars don’t rust in NH. Sure they do…but not at a rate you seem to think they do. And just because a vehicle has some rust doesn’t mean it can’t be driven for many more years. Early 80’s - vehicles would rust before they mechanically wore out. That isn’t happening much any more. My wife’s 1980 Datsun 510 had major rust through body panels after just 5 years. Drove it for 2 more years. The car had no mechanical issues when we got rid of it in 1987. She bought a new 87 Accord. By 1996 there was some surface rust, but nothing to worry about. Bought another Accord in 96. By 07 when she bought her Lexus, the Accord had very little sign of rust. Gave it to our niece as a graduation present so she could use it for college. She went to college in Rochester NY…(Real snow country). Little town her college was in averages 200" of snow a year. After college she bought a new car and sold the Accord…It had rust, but wasn’t falling apart…Still very drivable.

I NEVER said it didn’t have any rust. I just said the frame wasn’t falling apart. It had rust, but was still solid.

Bull!!! You can drive all over NH, ME and MA and find cars 10+ years old that are NOT rust buckets. If properly maintained, they should show little signs of rust.

And the Midwest and Northeast Coast weather isn’t even close to the Rust belt (region around the Great Lakes). Vehicles rust out faster there. Town I grew up averages 5 times more snow then Boston or where I live in Southern NH. They use a lot of sand and salt. But vehicles still last 10+ years before they fall apart from rust.

I could not resist to posting some visual here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:joy:

Right! (read with exceptional sarcasm) Good one! :rofl:
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

One good reason why I won’t sell a daily driver to a private buyer. The last time I did that (15 years ago) the purchaser came to my house to inspect the car along with his daughter. He asked about maintenance records and I brought out my spreadsheet along with a folder of receipts. Daughter says “I don’t want a car that needs that much attention”. Now, when I have a car to get rid of, instead of a lease return, dealer takes it in trade, not one has ever asked for a maintenance history. Much easier and less stress.

3 Likes

As a follow-on, there was a post a couple-a-three years ago showing clearly that Toyota and Honda were more reliable than Chevy and Ford. First problems showed up at 5 years for Ford and Chevy and 7 years for Honda and Toyota. Clearly a difference, and both very good IMO. I don’t recall the source, but the poster was and is a good source of information.

I’m fast coming around to your line of thinking. I used to think only people with money to burn should trade a car in because you get so much less money that way. But selling cars, or anything else, privately these days is just a royal pain. They flake out, they come over (great, now they have my address) and look at it, then offer half of what we agreed to on the phone and get mad when I send them away, or they come over “oh, I forgot to grab my wallet, I only have $10 on me, will ya take that!?”

I sold a crappy electric pressure washer once. I listed it as a crappy electric pressure washer. I mean I actually used those exact words. It was fine for hosing off a car, but don’t expect it to completely clean a patio. I listed it for 10 bucks. Guy comes over, offers 5, and wants me to write out a warranty for it. Seriously? A $5 warranty on something that’s advertised as crappy?

And that’s not even touching on the scammers who comprise probably 40 to sometimes 90% of responses to my ads…

Heh heh heh. Yeah I don’t know about everyone but I’ve had enough contact with the general public to try and control the ones I do come in contact with. I remember I sold my old riding lawn mower for $100 just to get rid of it. I had replaced most of the parts and it had new tires and a relatively new engine. A couple weeks later I got a screaming voice mail complaining the belt had come off. So just buy a new one for a couple thou if you don’t want the belt to come off. I agree, just trade the dang car and let the dealer deal with the public. Who needs the aggravation.

1 Like

Plus, in NJ I only pay the 6% sales tax on the net price of the new car after the trade, so if the trade is $5k, I save $300 in sales tax.

The county I live in has parking spots set aside at the police station for showing cars to prospective buyers. It doesn’t help you with the test drive, but at least they don’t know where you live and you get a chance to size them up before letting them drive your car. Remove the registration from the glove box, too.

I based that comment on many years of driving many kinds of cars and doing a widow, single mom and car service ministry and serving to retrieve cars of the above mentioned clients who were in found on road dead cars and visiting with tow truck drivers about which cars have to be towed off the road the most, and counting the cars dead and abandoned along the side of the road on long trips like from Oregon to Colorado springs and back. We tabulated the dead by the side of the road by manufacturer corporation and brand name. I began to also use consumer reports reliability ratings for my personal auto purchases beefed up by looking into the engine engineering at the service shops about 40 years ago.

When I said domestic I meant of course the cars assembled primarily by the UAW: in other words GM, Chrysler and Ford. The most recent domestics I owned literally fell apart at very low miles. Eg: mean time to failure of head gaskets on a major Ford corporation car was about 60,000 miles, mean time to failure on alternator was 40,000 miles, mean time to failure on A/C was reseal every year and A/C compressor 30,000 miles because the plumbing lost the lube oil from the compressor through the seal leakage; the paint fell off the car at 60,000 miles and no support from Ford. It was one of the top reliability domestic brand car when I bought it. It was typical to what my friends experience was as well. I had purchased it after desperately trying to sell another certified lemon from a domestic manufacturer. It took a year to get it sold! I had had previous experience with several Datsun cars that never had any fall apart issues. I actually never had anything buy routine LOF type maintenance with three of them before buying the domestics after my son totaled a Datsun. I had to buy a Chrysler mobility van for my disabled wife and it was the same thing again with domestic stuff; it kept falling apart, and it cost thousands of dollars a year to deep the mobility van running due to its “Chrysleritis.” After my wife passed I sold the Chrysler van.

Here’s your warranty: As Is Where Is in writing. Now that’ll be $15 which includes the extra $5 for the warranty. Makes you wanna just throw it in the trash.

2 Likes

20+ yrs. ago make it perhaps a mid 1990’s, like 1995? Insurance prices were much lower then. My point is that when you have bought a new car in 2017, in less than 3 years, my insurance is raised every 6 months. And, I dropped my collision from $100 to $250, my comprehensive is $100. I have argued with my Farmer’s agent over these years, and I had a car insured by him prior.

In past years, he was able to reduce my Home premium, but usually nothing on my car, except the no accidents and multi-policy discounts, etc.

I believe I posted earlier here that I tried getting quotes from other companies, such as State Farm, that used to be a reasonably-priced, and their policy increases were minimal. Well, those days were over some time ago now.

I also tried one of those “get the lowest rates from 5 companies” sites. They are nothing but a pain in the rear, as you have insurance agents contacting you ceaselessly, and then you get quotes that are higher than you are already paying. Or, they charge more for Home and less for Auto, for example. But it never works out, at least in my insurance company price quotes, when you have home insurance with one co. and car with another, because you lose all the discounts.

As a side note, State Farm (when they were run differently) would pay claims at the prices the body shops I CHOSE, not the ones they try to get you to go to, and the body shop would argue with them and get the price they felt the job entitled them to charge. Among the few accidents, not one was my fault. Then, I didn’t have an accident for 15+ years, but State Farm had changed into a really stingy company that wouldn’t agree to new body parts. A lot of companies push “recycled” body panels on you from junked cars, or the cheapest Chinese junk steel parts that are highly inferior. And, they try to twist your arm into going to body shops that are State Farm certified, and other companies do the same, including Farmer’s; though I would always chose the shop.

I pay like $23 per 6 mon. period for OEM parts coverage, as I feel it is worth paying for, as even my body shop (whose wonderful owner died recently from aggressive cancer, bless his soul) was relentless in insisting they could not do the job to their standards for what the insurance company wanted to pay.

But, back to just the rates increasing. Yes, on my 2017 Camry, I’m paying more every 6 months, because according to them, their accident costs in my area (and, I’m in a pretty good area) have gone up, due to more claims or increase in labor and parts costs. The same excuses, and they never end.

Get a used car thoroughly checked out before buying. I have 3 cars with over 100K miles and they are in pristine like-new condition. A 2002 Acura CL-S, 2007 Acura RDX and a 1999 4-Runner 4WD on which I’ve kept up on repairs and maintenance. One could eat off the clean engines and spotless interiors. Many people neglect their cars and treat them like junk piles. That ownership is easy for a good mechanic to spot.

1 Like

Yes, it is worth it.

If the car is worth buying, it’s worth maintaining.

1 Like

Many good points have been made by multiple posters to this thread. I’m late to this discussion but, if I may, I have some thoughts.

My perspective is shaped by being someone unable to do my own mechanical maintenance and therefore having to pay to have all work done. The exceptions are that I keep my car immaculately clean, regularly check the oil dipstick and eyeball fluid levels, keep the washer fluid topped up, check tire pressure and keep tires aired up as needed, and on my current car (2014 Camry) am easily able to change both the cabin and engine air filters. Everything else I pay the shop to do.

As stated by others, in modern cars 100,000 miles is usually only half at worst of the distance a well maintained vehicle can easily last. Depending on climate, rust often defines useful life of a car. So, in my opinion and experience, deciding whether or not to keep a car beyond 100k miles gets down to several deciding factors: safety, reliability, comparative costs, actual need versus desire, and typical use of the car by the owner and his or her particular decison factors.

Properly maintained vehicles normally should still be safe far beyond 100k. So keep happily motoring on. In the minority of cases where a car is no longer safe and cannot be repaired to be safe within other decision factors, then replace it.

The same is true regarding reliability as safety. That said, acceptable and preferred levels of reliability vary depending on individual circumstances. Don’t confuse acceptable versus preferred. Depending on other decision factors, acceptable reliability is often a good choice to stick with even if it isn’t the preferred level.

Before looking at comparative costs, let’s jump ahead to to typical use and actual transportation needs. Those relying on only one car for transportation to work have to weight reliability more heavily than those with access to other reliably available transportation – a second car, family or friends, car pool, public transportation, etc. Also, how far is the commute, how long a wait for assistance if stranded, relative safety of being stranded in what kind of area, availability in time and distance of one or more reliable mechanic shops, availability of loaner or rental cars whenever one’s car needs to be in the shop, etc. So part of weighting the decision factors of actual transportation needs and typical use are directly tied to safety in terms of locality and to reliability in terms of both the car and available good shop and alternative transportation. And it ties into comparative costs.

Comparative costs include more than only costs of ongoing maintenance versus replacement price. Yes, as miles and age accumulate on a car maintenance costs rise somewhat. Any particular system, any given part on a car has specified proactive maintenance intervals as well as typical lifespan before needing replacement of those parts. Don’t confuse this with repairs that arise from damage situations such as hitting a curb or big pothole or other damaging events.

Ongoing costs of keeping a car include maintenance costs of short interval such as oil changes and tire rotation; intermediate interval costs such as brakes, cooling system, a/c, etc.; and long interval such as timing belt, brake lines, suspension, etc. Keep in mind that the difference in intermediate versus long interval maintenance items can vary depending on the make and age of a car and also on driving and climate conditions and habits.

Further ongoing costs include insurance and taxes. Time and miles an owner keeps a car factors depreciation into comparative cost when looking at replacement cost.

Simply put, replacement cost is how much total money is required to pay out for a different vehicle. So factor in negotiated purchase price, deduct any trade-in or sale price if any on the vehicle being replaced, all financing costs both up front and long term if any, sales tax and licensing fees, increase in insurance premiums, increase in personal property tax, etc.

Let me give several personal examples of my parents and my decisions when to retire and/or replace cars. Note, both they and I typically keep cars far more years than average.

First example, in the final years of my dad’s life he was driving far less than before although still driving for both business and personal use. He also had access to my car if needed such we could share a car for several days or more if needed. His car was almost 25 years old and had some 250k+ miles on it and was pretty well worn out. It seriously leaked and burned oil and seriously leaked transmission fluid. The engine was about worn out. The interior seat fabric and carpet were worn through in spots. The trunk leaked. The speedometer and cruise control didn’t work. One window motor was burned out. But it had very little rust on the frame, brake lines, or body. The transmission still worked fine as long as the fluid level was maintained. Dad knew he had only another year or two left he was physically and mentally capable of minimal driving. So he chose to not spend money on repairs or buying a new car. When it developed a cracked ball joint (or perhaps it was a cracked steering knuckle, I forget which) I prevailed on him to park the car and use mine as needed on occasion.

Second example, I had a twelve year old 1973 Corolla that I managed to burn out three of its four cylinders one day commuting on the highway. Despite a lot of body rust the car was otherwise still mechanically sound and servicable at 140k miles. I’d been saving money to buy a new car. So, replace at that point or pay to rebore the cylinders? I did the math. The cost of interest on and fees for a loan for what I’d need to borrow exceeded the cost of repairing the engine on the aging Corolla. But I would be able to put aside enough more into savings in two more years to afford a new car free and clear with no loan. I also had access to my dad providing transportation while the car was in the shop. So, even though I would have liked a new car I chose to repair and keep driving the old car two years more until 160k miles and then replaced it due to too much rust of both body and frame.

Third example, I had a seven year old Impala with only 54k miles on it. But from day one as a brand new car it chronically had ongoing, repeated, worsening electrical issues. It also had repeated problems with and/or failures of fuel pump (despite always filling up when down to half a tank of gas), intermediate steering shaft, steering pump and rack, transmission, engine, cooling system, and suspension despite proactive maintenance. I just happened to have gotten a “hanger queen” lemon. At seven years and 54k miles it was out of warranty, even the “goodwill” extension on a few things. Mechanics at both the dealership and independent shops advised I trade it in while it still had reasonable value and get something more reliable. They knew I no longer had living family in the area to help me and that I was no longer young. Both shops gave quotes broken down into truly needed repairs, looming repairs which were mostly for second and third time failures on such things as fuel pump and steering shaft, and standard maintenance items coming due within a year based on time and mileage. While considering those costs and doing preliminary shopping for a new car to compare total outlay costs of both choices the engine suddenly started using a lot of oil. It wasn’t leaking so it was now burning oil and a significant amount especially given low mileage and going from not burning any at all to as much as typically wouldn’t show up until triple or more miles than it had. I ran the math. Even assuming not paying to find and repair the cause of oil consumption or any additional unknown problems or failures not already looming, the anticipated costs of other needed repairs and maintenance were high enough and the time the car was in the shop chronically frequent and lengthy enough that I chose to trade in the car for a new car. Before the new car was out of warranty the difference in projected costs to keep the hanger queen versus total costs after trade-in for new purchase “paid for itself” in money saved while providing a far, far more reliable car.

So, my response has been a Very Long Discourse that can be summed up as it most usually is quite reasonable and more affordable to keep a car long past 100k miles but it depends on the decision details that vary from any given particular car and owner to another.

I now return you to our other regularly posting members who manage to be far more concise than I when commenting. :grin:

3 Likes

We had a van 11 years, no really major problems but it was at the end of life when we traded it in. Unsolvable gremlins and starting to rust and old enough to deem not reliable for wife to do 250 mile road trips to see her mom. Cost for the van over 11 years was $218 a month. Leased for the last 6 years, first ia Optima for 3 years, then Rav4 for 3 years. Buying out the rav4 in Sept, about 2 grand less than comparable list price, so we are done with leasing, as retired last year, planned on road trips so mileage was a concern.

Sure thing, go for it. I bought a buick with 117000 on it, drove it till 163000 and the sold. You do put some into repairs , but those are minor ( sometimes) , :slight_smile:

The insurance agent said it was because the safety features.