In general, is it worth trying to maintain a vehicle that has more than 100,000 miles or are you better off with a newer car?

Really??

As I and others have stated - it’s NOT cheaper to buy a new car and keep an existing older good running car.

Again - NOT true. You can get a lower premium on your new car if you also have two cars, but you can NOT get a lower premium on 2 cars vs the same coverage on just 1 car. That’s just delusional.

This is nothing new. Back in the 60’s it wasn’t unusual for new releases mid model year.I bought my new 1990 Nissan Pathfinder in Feb of 1990. One month later the 1991 Ford Explorer was introduced.

You’re completely delusional. Not just my opinion.

Pretty sure that doesn’t happen here.

2 Likes

Oh the irony…

4 Likes

Hi Rick. Up til now I wasn’t saying anything because I think people are entitled to their opinions, even if they continue to express them to vociferous disagreement from others, and round and round. I figured, Rick said he bought this car his way, so let him talk about it.

I notice that you’ve been saying stuff like “check your cognitive meter” and now it’s a comment about meds. Now that you’ve gotten everything down and others aren’t coming around, it’s time to let the discussion go.

As for your other concern that people here are posting under sock puppet accounts, I can tell you it’s not true for the people you’ve been interacting with. You do have a point about many members of our forum having very fixed opinions about buying, driving, and maintaining cars, and I hope that will change with time.

7 Likes

In April of 2010, I was in the market for a new minivan. The Toyota dealer had the 2010 Siennas, but the 2011 Siennas had just been delivered to dealers and he had several in stock. I was offered the same discount off the sticker price for the 2011 as I was for the 2010. I bought the 2011 reasoning that it would always be a model year newer. On the other hand, back in August of 2017, I was having the 2011 Sienna serviced and asked about whether the 2018 Siennas had arrived. The answer was no, but they were offering big discounts on the 2017. I was planning to sell the 2011 to our son, so I bought a 2017 at the end of the model year.
In the case of minivans, I doubt that one model year really makes a lot of difference in value. The 2011 my son now owns doesn’t look any different than the 2017 I now drive. One friend of mine believed me when I told him I was tired of the maroon color so I was able to get it repainted at Earl Scheib for $49.95.

1 Like

Have you sent the same advisory to MikeNH. Check the start of our dialog tagged…109/217 June 19. He started and continued be insulting and using disparaging remarks. I tried to be as civil as I could. In addition, I said to him just what you have said. I said to him, that we have a difference of opinion on the OP. And I advised him that…now that we should agree to accept each other’s opinions…that matter should be closed and done. But he followed me to another subject matter that stemmed from the OP. Whereupon he continued to press his case from the OP. Not only that, but started to question my integrity and to demean my education/schooling in math. He mentioned that he could not understand the things I recommended to others who may be interested. That’s not my fault. And I suggested that he ask others who may know. Apparently he either refused to do that or did not know of another who could concur on the advice I had laid out for other people. That’s when he called me delusional. That was enough…I just started giving him his own medicine back.

I think MikeNH has a need to argue…period.

If things are to stop…he stops…then I stop. It is that simple.

@Rick-Woodbury OK. I can tell @MikeInNH to stop arguing too. I’ve asked him to do that other times. And he shouldn’t have questioned whether you can do math. It also takes two to argue, and you don’t have to keep doing it.

1 Like

I’m sorry my friend, I use this method all the time. Check most new car buying at low prices guides, and you will find the method (of everything given by me) in them. I don’t know why you would make a comment like that before putting in the effort of research to check the validity of what I am saying. Find out. Do the research, and then tell me it does not work anymore. If you won’t do the research, I will gladly find such info and submit the link…if you care to know the truth. The only fact that I got wrong was the early release date timeline of the next year’s new cars. I said the release date was the first week in July ( the release date I Bought my last 2 cars). Nevad_545 was kind of enough to inform me that these cars bought by me were intro models. And he informed me that the non-intro models come out usually around mid-August to September. Everything else is factual and does work. My info on that is tagged…109/217 June 19. If you have not checked a good new car buying guide (via store or the internet) that saves you money…then you are being disingenuous in saying that it does not work anymore.

Volvo V70 tells many people who have a vehicle malfunction to give up and buy a new car, advise changes with the direction of the wind.

Okay Neveda_545…duly noted. But I can not imagine any responsible car person suggesting that as a remedy. I would just employ my reliable mechanic to fix the problem. And that is certainly not what I am advocating in my comments. My stick…if you are looking for the right time to opt for a new car…then I have submitted ways you can save on the new car and perhaps the insurance.

I had a 56 Desoto Fireflite, 330 hemi, 4 barrel., I had the opposite problem with plugs. I had put in Mallory points which raised the attainable rpm quite a biy , advanced the timing 8 degrees and ran 103 octane, as measured then, Amoco high test (no lead). I flogged it regularly and had to run colder plugs because i was burning them up.

Why would you get a 383 Magnum and not have fun with it) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: