In a hurry with COLD ENGINE. State Patrol recommends Mobil 1 full synthetic oil

Hook, line and sinka…

Hee hee, could you use a couple flood lights instead of a block heater? Block heaters are pretty expensive. And maybe a blanket or someting over the engine to keep it warm on ffigid nights?? Just askin’.

^ You two volunteer to be called at 3 a.m. to rush blood from the blood center to a hospital for a 24 y/o in third trimester bleeding out in trauma surgery.
“Hurry” they say.
Then try to minimize damage to a very cold engine when there is no time to gently allow it to warm.
Why are you reading this?

Hee hee, could you use a couple flood lights instead of a block heater? Block heaters are pretty expensive. And maybe a blanket or someting over the engine to keep it warm on ffigid nights?? Just askin’.

"Hee hee, could you use a couple flood lights instead of a block heater? Block heaters are pretty expensive. And maybe a blanket or someting over the engine to keep it warm on ffigid nights?? Just askin'."
Exactly what I asked when I regretted having not gotten around to placing floodlights shining up onto the differential, transmission and engine, with a sheet over the hood and grill. And if hospitals paid for any gas, I might be able to afford a block heater.

@Bing why are you giving this guy more ideas?

Knowing @RobertGift, he’ll probably put the blanket over the idling engine, only to have it get caught up in the spinning serpentine belt!

"Knowing @RobertGift, he'll probably put the blanket over the idling engine, only to have it get caught up in the spinning serpentine belt!"
Serpentine belts, as all reptiles, be cold-blooded. No heat needed. Everyone knows this.

I’m going withe outdoor floodlights and cheap Goodwill blanket on the hood.
Least co$t, outdoor floodlights mount to a long 2x4 which will aim them at thengine, transmission andifferential.

Will reporthe results and electricity co$t.

In spite of all the wisdom, my thinking a block heater, you are going to do what? let me know if you like someores because I LOVE A WONDERFUL BONFIRE

If you are on call, you should sleep with your pants on. Then all you have to do is slide into your mocs, put a jacket on, and race out the door. I’m sure that you can find something comfortable like sweat pants to wear. There are slacks that look like pajama bottoms. You can be comfortable and fashionable at the same time. The Fashion Police would approve.

"If you are on call, you should sleep with your pants on. Then all you have to do is slide into your mocs, put a jacket on, and race out the door. I'm sure that you can find something comfortable like sweat pants to wear.
Haha. I sleep in nice, thick, warm, soft sweat shirt and pants. Much better than pajamas. I have worn them into the blood center and hospitals. More than once I have been asked if I came directly from "24-hour Fitness"! Such saves time,specially since we moved further away from the blood center.
"... let me know if you like someores because I LOVE A WONDERFUL BONFIRE
I hate gasoline-smoked smores. What is going to burn?

Gotta try the LED floods. A lotta light for very little amount of electricity. Virtually indestructible. Will last you a long time, :slight_smile:

"Gotta try the LED floods. A lotta light for very little amount of electricity. Virtually indestructible. Will last you a long time, :-)"
Yes, very efficient and no heat!

Then you need to get a hybrid or plug-in and no worry so much on oil viscosity and gas ignition. The colder it is, the electrons move more easily, :slight_smile:

"Then you need to get a hybrid or plug-in and no worry so much on oil viscosity and gas ignition. The colder it is, the electrons move more easily, :-)"
Too late. Already got me a "green" 5.4L 4WD Expedition. Though it does feel like cold fusion, I can't get the conductors down to absolute zero.

Close is good enough. Anything below melting point of copper is OK. Remember-horseshoes.

“The colder it is, the electrons move more easily” --except in semiconductor devices like transistors. They “flow” better when they get hotter, which can lead to a condition called thermal runaway, which eventually will destroy the device.

Friend had oil changed on 2 yr old navigator at dealer. Tech forgot to put new oil in. Who or how anyone could drive car with oil light on is confusing. I still don’t recall if friend noticed light when he picked up nav or if dealer actually admitted it had happened and quickly added oil? Anyway, dealer added 100k additional miles to vehicle warranty. Last I heard, nav has over 200k miles and friends bro has it now. So much for bearing wear with cold oil or NO oil.

@Stoveguy: Clearly the engine still had some oil in it and wasn’t driven far or at high speeds. And with no real details on the situation, I’d have to question the validity of this. This board is full of stories of seized engines that were run out of oil or from a quickie oil change place forgetting to put oil in.