Import tuner or high end?

True story.
I walked into my local Toyota dealer some years back and there, in the showroom, was a Ferarri Testarosa and a Ferarri 308 GTB. I asked the salesman what the story was (I knew him, so I know he’d give me the straight story). They belonged to the dealership (chain) owner and his son. The testarosa was waiting for an oil filter to be shipped in so the oil could be changed. The 308 was for sale…the owner’s kids had given it to him for his birthday a few years back, but he didn’t care for it.

These super high performance cars are toys for rich people. They’re entirely impractical, extremely expensive to maintain, and often extremely uncomfortable (ever been in a Lotus Elise?). And in northern climes they’re totally useless and impossible to drive in the winter. People who own these HAVE to have regular cars for daily use.

Me, if money were no object I’d have a 911, the new one with the sliding glass roof. And perhaps a Nissan 350Z ragtop. I like those. And my tC for the winter. Would I be any happier? Nope.

These super high performance cars are toys for rich people… People who own these HAVE to have regular cars for daily use.

Well, I wouldn’t really call a 308 a “super high performance car” but I agree that they are not very useful as a daily driver. You can probably find a very decent 308 for under $40K these days, hardly a “toy for rich people.” Now, a nice 264 dino is another story.