I'm moving to southern New Hampshire. Do I need AWD?

For sure, as you can tell by the quote…do a lot of stuff inadvertently as I age.

We all do. Thanks for responding.

I’ve driven lots in Canada in winter and right now live near Maine. Snow tires - definitely get them around November or December (althouth you can drive on them year round, which you may not know if your from the south, but your mileage will be less and they wear faster). AWD - don’t need it - it is a big expense and makes your gas mileage less and is very expensive to repair. If it is very hilly where you’re going, just make sure you don’t get too small a motor (like a hyundai accent or echo), also don’t get something too boxy that blows around in the wind too much. Be very careful when you’re not used to driving on snow and/or ice - think of it like skiing or tobogganing with your car.

I used to live in Hanover, up a steep hill, and never had 4WD, only FWD and four snows. The FOUR snow tires are crucial. If you are planning to drive into the mountains, it might help sometimes, but doubt it.

When it snows, go out to a parking lot (someplace with no cars or obstacles) and put yourself into a skid and practice getting out of it. Don’t drive too fast, don’t brake too fast, leave room between you and the person in front, read about snow driving. Smart driving will do a lot more for you than 4WD.

I had an AWD Volvo Cross Country Wagon and with snow tires it was an awesome winter car. Since I live on a big hill in snow country AWD really helps. Is AWD necessary? Not really, but the snows on all 4 wheels that is KEY!

With regular tires my AWD Volvo with ABS brakes slid down my hill; while the ABS kept the car under control the lack of traction allowed the speed to build up to the point that I couldn’t make the turn at the bottom of the hill. I shot across the intersection and ended up in a ditch. Next stop after getting pulled out was to the tire shop for 4 snow tires. Never had any problem since as long as the snows were on. I have other cars with ABS brakes (one FWD the other RWD) and they all stop great with 4 snows installed. The AWD car goes up the hills easier - but they all make it up the hill eventually.

If you buy a new car you’ll get ABS and traction control on it. Get 4 snows and mount them on after market wheels and switch them every year sometime in early December. If you find a car you can afford and like with AWD get it. Just remember AWD will get 1-3 mpg less gas mileage than the same car with 2WD and the AWD system has lots of extra parts that eventually break and increase repair costs down the road. My Volvo was very expensive to keep on the road so I know.

I believe stopping and steering in snow is much more critical that starting out in snow. It is the traction that 4 snow tires provide that will get back home safely. AWD with the “all season” tires that come on most new cars are not good enough for NH winter driving. If you get AWD, great but you need the snow tires too.

Additional test and reviews from CU. Canadian Driver, Car and Driver etc
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2005/winter-driving-405-winter-driving-safety-winter-tires/

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/traction2006.htm

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/performance_files_tested_by_c_d/winter_traction_test_what_price_traction_feature

en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/winterdriving/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1408348 - 57k -