If you're holding-off on buying an EV

… there will soon (?) be a new EV available in the automotive marketplace, thanks to our friends (?) in Russia.

1 Like

Of course it’s red. Better then rivian.

1 Like

Ohh yes, that just changed my mind about never wanting an EV, I have to get me one of those… :man_facepalming: :nauseated_face:

Can we expect something better than the Yugo? “Sometimes You Go, and sometimes You Don’t.”

2 Likes

The Ugly Stick is irreparably broken, shattered, laying in pieces and not a mark to be seen on the “car”. The stick damage happened just from being in proximity to this monstrosity.

1 Like

Looks like the illegitimate offspring of a Fiat Mulitplas and a Tata Nano

3 Likes

Good news! The Russian embargo will prevent importation to the US. It will not be a distraction on our roads if we can’t see it.

2 Likes

Some questions about whether it’s real-

I read about half of Buick dealers are choosing not to tool up for electrics, so idk.maybe Russia will lead the way.

1 Like

Based on the amazing prevalence of Teslas in my area–coupled with increasing inventory of EVs sitting on many dealer lots–I think that the market for EVs has been saturated. And, the fact that several car companies are returning to hybrid production tells me that they also perceive market saturation for EVs:

Maybe Toyota’s ex-CEO (Akio Toyoda) was correct about concentrating on hybrids and plug-in hybrids, rather than on EVs. Their new CEO (Sato San) is of the opinion that Mr. Toyoda was wrong, but… maybe Toyoda had a smarter strategy.

1 Like

Any EV that is actually meant to be useful and compete with fuel burning vehicles would have a small fuel powered generator in it that would be enough to drive 55 MPH or such forever without having to charge. Even a single cylinder engine can do this. That would solve all the problems with range limits when traveling long distances, and heating in the winter.

1 Like

Which would be a “hybrid” vehicle…

7 Likes

The land must be very flat where you live. A one-cylinder engine in a 4000 lb. car is not going to be able to travel up any type of hill at 55 mph.

4 Likes

… and that is exactly what Mazda is doing with its new EV, although one forum member will probably be disappointed because it was a 73 HP rotary engine, instead of his favored 1-cylinder IC engine. :wink:

Let’s do the math, shall we?? An aero efficient car takes about 10 hp to maintain 55 mph. A generator to supply that would need to be about 13.3 hp to supply 10 hp to the wheels because of losses in the generator, in the motor controller and then the motor. That 13.3 hp SINGLE cylinder engine would need to be about 26 cubic inches figuring 0.5 hp per cubic inch. That would be a humper of an engine producing all kinds of unwanted vibration not to mention the CO2 EVs are trying to eliminate.

But it would not run “forever” since cars brake and accelerate (and drive faster than 55 mph!). The batteries will provide the extra push plus provide regen storage but that means the generator would need to be slightly larger than the 13.3 hp so you could keep charging the batteries.

Ever wonder why cars were not built like diesel-electric locomotives?? You know, a big ICE driving a generator supplying electricity to drive the wheels? Because the efficiency losses with every conversion of energy (fuel to hp to electricity to traction) is far less efficient than driving the wheels directly as we do. It works on locomotives because traction is limited, the load is exceptionally high and distributing 10,000 hp is easier when you have 8 or 12 driven axles with electric motors on every one.

2 Likes

That’s not fair!
You’re using math, science, and logic to refute him.
Can’t you come up with some off-the-cuff, random thoughts that are based on… nothing that is scientifically provable?
:wink:

7 Likes

Well, my perception about a lot of Tesla owners is that the bought the car to stand out. Since now, in SCA where we are almost one out of every 5 cars I see is a Tesla, this Russian car would really help one stand out.

On a different note, we were almost ready to pull the trigger on a Chevy Bolt EUV as you can now get them a bit bellow MSRP. But after a lot of back and forth, decided with gas around $5 per Gallon and our high tier electricity at 0.36 per KWH, when you factor in the the cost or driving and also worse resale value of the EV, a Corolla Cross hybrid will make more sense and might last longer and also be more versatile with no raneg anxiety.

Single cylinder? I have two, two cylinder engines. One produces, according to manufacturer, 15 HP, the other 20 HP. Would not want a single in either application, though I did have a single cylinder 250 motorcycle.

1 Like

Me too. Big thumper. 1975 Jawa CZ250 Enduro

I too wondered if a configuration like that would work.

It looks like we’ll soon learn from the 2025 Dodge RamCharger:
2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Avoids the Range Anxiety of EV Trucks