If a car runs off the road and ends upside down on your property can you refuse its removal?

@jesmed

This is the meth capital of Indiana, and one of the biggest meth counties in the country.

Most of Indiana is pretty bad, but I wont give you the specific town but lets say west central Indiana should be avoided. I live in Southern west central close to where this happened.

archive.indystar.com/article/99999999/NEWS06/130213011/RetroIndy-Hollandsburg-massacre

Here is the Yahoo lawyers take on it.

occasionaljustice.com/Drollinger.html

Its a good read. A horrific story, and represents the general mentality around here.

Not much has changed around here since 1977, there are still some people that feel a couple of those boys should be out by now. They were good kids, they didn’t mean to do it, they got tricked,let them out. Theres even a few that think that the ringleader should be out, after all, his pops was a popular fellow.

Thats what bothered me, why did he want my license

The reason the police wanted your license was because they need to know who they are talking with. You claim to them that you are the owner of the property. How do they know that? They aren’t going to just take your word.

As for getting rid of the vehicle. You can have it towed at your expense anytime you want. Then sue the owner of the vehicle for it.

@jtsanders

Yes, First thing I did was contact state farm. Only problem is I don’t have a report yet and the police officer would only give me the report number. The cop said the report would take 4-7 days, why that long I didn’t even ask because I was already trying to avoid him since he didn’t like it when I explained that he was on private property, I was not under investigation and I would take all the pictures I wanted.

The person who hit my culvert gets a free report and I have to go pay 5 dollars for one. Typical Indiana crap.

@WheresRick–I had a good friend and colleague that moved to Raccoon Lake in Parke county and another friend and colleague that owns a lodge over there in the area that was mentioned in your URLs. Neither have had any problems. I think it depends on the region of the county where you live. The same may be true of the county where you live south of this area.
I live on the opposite side of the state in east central Indiana. My family moved to this community right after WW II. Housing was hard to get and for six months, we lived in a very rough part of town. Ultimately, my dad was able to purchase a house and a little bit of land outside of town and I attended a country school. Crime wasn’t a problem back then. When we would go on a vacation, we left the house unlocked so that the neighbor could come in and check on things–particularly the sump pump in the basement after a rain. We did the same for them when they were out of town. My wife grew up the same way in the next county east. We both grew up with simple country values. I guess you can take the person out of the country and into the city, but you can never take the country out of the person.

WheresRick, you might want to get a permit to build a legal fieldstone fence about four feet high and three feet thick. The fence is easily repairable and will stop the idiots. Might be best to say no more.

We came home one day when the roads were slick to find tire ruts in my front yard. Our house is situated so that a street dead ends in our driveway. We found a note in our front door from the person who had slid into our yard with a name and telephone number. I called the number and the person was really upset and said he had insurance that would cover the damage. I replied that I had a rototiller that would fix the damage and when I put in my garden in the spring, I would fix the yard. It probably took less than half an hour and a few cents worth of grass seed to take care of the problem that spring and if I saved a person from having higher insurance premiums, it was worth the effort.

I had a good friend and neighbor who had a corner lot. For years, the area kids thought it was cool to drive accross his lot and tear up the grass. He planted a tree, but all they did was go behind it and damage the lawn even more. In frustration, he found the steel boundary marker which was set well onto his lawn. He pulled the steel marker up to about 9 inches in height and marked it with reflective tape so it could easily be seen by pedestrians an anyone else who cared to look. One young driver didn’t . He never had another problem. He reset the stake down to ground level and never had to pull it up again.

@dagosa That sounds like something similar to what one of my coworkers done. There were people driving up and down their street awhile back leaning out of the car and hitting mailboxes with ball bats.
After this happened a couple times, he went out and got a couple lengths of quarter inch thick steel. He dug down a couple feet and set the steel sheets in the hole and filled the hole in with cement. The sheets were setup like a normal 2x4 for a mailbox, but it was hollow inside. He took more cement and dumped it down the hole in the steel sheet, then set his mailbox over top of the sheets. So, he had probably an inch of solid concrete surrounded by 1/4 inch steel under his mailbox, that was also cemented into the ground.
Within a couple of days he found a half broken ball bat laying in his yard in the morning. I shudder to think what would have felt like for the guy swinging the bat, but I could see a trip to the ER because of it.

We had someone hitting mail boxes with a baseball bat. My wife was outside and saw them doing it one night around 10pm. She called the county police immediately, and a patrol car happened to bei nt he neighborhood. She (police officer) nailed 3 teens. It turned out the guy with the baseball bat was the son of a police precinct captain in the county next to ours. My wife was in the front yard the following day and saw an adult couple with a teen driving through the neighborhood assessing the damage to each mailbox.

@Rick,just leave is my advice-the trash infestation,has went septic.There are still a few good places to live,right where I live seems to be pretty fair(mid-alantic Alleghanies) the biggest problem here is people that will use your resources and not think about helping out,but at least the nearest Meth community is probaly 35 miles away.Most of the problem in my area is over zealous drug officers getting somebody sentenced to 10 yrs in prison for having 3.2 grams of marijuana on the property and the community is over policed with 4 state troopers and 18 deputies for a sub -5k population 545 sq mile county,otherwise its pretty nice except for the lack of work,most families are Christian and if anybody had any money real estate is pretty reasonable-Kevin