ICE vs EV: fill up cost comparison

That is where the research into new forms of reactors comes into play. Modern reactors that generate far, far less waste. New design reactors powered BY the waste from old reactors.

Fusion reactors that generate no waste. A recent breakthrough in magnetic containment at MIT to make it more efficient and smaller just made a huge leap forward in that technology.

1 Like

“Mustangman” does sound male…

But, ya never know, I guess!

Maybe there can be high Voltage DC power lines going under the ocean to bring electricity from China in to the US. Or maybe the could run them through Russia and Alaska. Just don’t talk about them in the media, call anyone who talks about imported electricity a conspiracy theorist, insist that existing hydro and nuclear plants were able to double their capacities for the new EV electricity demand, add some verbal gymnastics and straw man arguments, cancel anyone who points out the flaws, and the green carbon neutral future can work.

If the average home uses 24kWhr per day, then one daily driver EV should double that. edit: Barkydog showed me that this 24kWhr estimate is way too high, and I didn’t account for residential electricity only being about 37% of the national use. See my response below.

My last bill 25.24KW per day, gas dryer, furnace and oven/range. $100.46.

The average electric car kWh per 100 miles ( kWh /100 mi) is 34.6. This works out as 0.346 kWh

14 cents per mile at $3.25 per gallon, @22 mpg

at 13.6 cents per KW that turns out to be 4.7 cents per mile

500 miles per month an extra $23.50 for electric.

Correct my math if I am wrong.

Probably almost none. People are doing 20+ over on 70mph highways now. There’s no particular reason they’d stop just because the number on the sign went down.

The reactor on a submarine can produce 100mw more than that in an hour. Power plant reactors generally put out several times what a submarine reactor can produce. On average, a nuclear plant is measured in gigawatts, not megawatts. In your scenario, the community could get its entire electrical supply from the nuclear plant, and still have gobs of overhead to use or sell to neighboring communities that still insist on using coal.

Your argument can be compared to a luddite in 1901 explaining that the car will never supplant the horse because there isn’t a gas station on every corner. People demanded the infrastructure, and it was built. There’s no reason save arbitrary unresearched contrariness to suspect that infrastructure to support EVs won’t also be built.

2 Likes

+1
Some of those early 20th Century Luddites continued to invest in buggy whip manufacturing companies because…
you know… cars are just a passing whim.
:smirk:

3 Likes

Disagree. 15-20 mph over 55 would still be a lot less than 15-20 mph over 70. The reason they imposed the 55 mph speed back in the day, was to save fuel, right? Reduce fuel consumption and you reduce carbon emissions. I generally drive 62 in a 55 mph zone. I generally drive 75 in a 70 mph zone. If you theoretically dropped (almost) everyone’s speed by 10-13 mph…I have to think that would add up. If it’s as big of an issue as some claim, it seems like a feasible idea. I figure the mpg difference in my truck at say 65 mph vs 75 mph would probably be more than equipping it with cylinder deactivation.

62 in a 55 zone will almost always gert you a 100.00 fine in my area . 75 in a 70 has a 50/50 of not being stopped . I don’t speed because getting some where a few minutes early is just not worth it.

I routinely get passed (at a pretty decent rate) going 75 in a 70 zone. Most are doing 80 or more. Some appear to be going 90. HP isn’t going to look twice at 75 mph on the highway leading northwest to Memphis.

The posted speed limit on the Interstate highways in my area is 65. Even though I keep to the right whenever possible, in order to not get rammed from behind, I set my cruise control to 72, and cars are still passing me almost as if I was standing still.

I think they need a little more highway patrol presence on that stretch of highway. I’m not a speed limit nazi or anything. But when you routinely see cars passing semi’s in the right hand lane (before the semi can get back over) at 80 plus mph because they can’t be bothered to touch the brakes…it’s getting a little sketchy. 20 years ago, I drove a Jeep CJ that I would’ve been afraid to even attempt 70 mph in on the same highway. Not sure what changed (more traffic, less patrols, faster cars, driver attitudes, etc), but I’d be afraid I’d get run over in that old Jeep today and that used to not be a concern.

Ironically, it is not unusual to see State Troopers in marked vehicles sitting on the extremely wide median of I-287.
Since they don’t seem to be interested in chasing the cars going 15-20 mph over the speed limit, I’m not quite sure what they are watching for.

Defund the police had something to do with it. I just heard that one state ( cant remember which one) just said that the police are not allowed to pull over vehicles for a traffic stop.

Provide more information on that. Include what state and under what circumstances the police can’t make a traffic stop.

I think you may have misunderstood what @shadowfax said. I took it to mean that if someone is going 90 with a 70 speed limit, they will still go 90 if the speed limit is 55.

3 Likes

Philly bans police stops for minor traffic infractions - WHYY

New law bans police from pulling over Virginia drivers solely for certain car safety violations (wsls.com)

Philadelphia Becomes First Big City to Ban Police From Stopping Cars for Low-Level Traffic Offenses (newsweek.com)

Legislators Pass Bill To Ban Cops From Stopping Cars For No Headlights At Night, Other Violations - The Police Tribune

I disagree with that also, unless we just aren’t giving tickets anymore. People will still speed, but I tend to think the speed will still be lower with a lower speed limit. Most people shoot for X mph over the limit, whatever it is.

If true, that’s asinine.

Not exactly correct . Philadelphia is one of several places that has decided that pulling people over for minor infractions such as a none working tail light or tag light is counter to public relations . Some places will just mail a warning to the address associated with the tag number.

I guess what I said was not totally correct. sorry