I wonder why do they creep

@ Same,lets hope so-the "greater good’ doesnt necessarily include ball games in my book

Now I don’t recommend anyone else doing this because I don’t want you to get shot or beat up, but when the mood struck me, whether I was driving a car or tractor trailer, I would stop and put the 4 way flashers on and walk back to see what the horn honker wanted. Even though I did it with a smile on my face I never got a reply, just a straight ahead stare with a rolled up window and a locked door.

Many traffic light have motion sensors buried under the pavement to measure the number of cars waiting at the entrances to the intersection. The number of cars on a particular street can be a variable in determining the holding time at the red light. The more cars, the less the red light holding time tends to be. The motion sensor counts the number of cars on an incoming street by sensing a car coming to the intersection and then stopping. When drivers bring their cars to a complete stop, and then “creep” forward after that, the traffic light control system tends to count an additional car. This can have the result of shorting the time that the “creeping” driver has to spend at the red light. I have tried this “creeping” many times and it appears to work.

The lane spread before and after lights makes sense if it is used as intended (but it seldom is). The “extra” right lane on approach is for driver’s wanting to turn right. They can separate from the main line going forward and expedite their turn, thus freeing up space for people going straight. The extension on the other side is for buffoons that don’t really realize the lane’s true purpose and use it to go straight anyway thinking they will get ahead of two or three cars (a win for them!).

Speaking of sensors…
There have been times ( plural ) where I was the only truck at the light…waiting…waiting…waiting…had to back up a few car lengths then pull foreward again…THEN the light changed for me !

Many traffic light have motion sensors buried under the pavement to measure the number of cars waiting at the entrances to the intersection

The buried sensors in most areas around went away decades ago. They now use sensors mounted to the traffic light pole.

Mike…yes, you are correct…I was not thinking clearly. Most of the sensors are above now, although you can still see in many places where they have cut into the pavement to place the sensors.

I remember them, but haven’t seen any in years. Had one near me in college. It was on a small narrow street leading to a major road. And every once in a while someone would park on the narrow street - right on the sensor. It would constantly be turning the light red on the busy street - and after a while start causing a traffic jam. Police would get called to get the vehicle towed.

We’ve got one light that late at night will not change until another car comes from the other direction, so you can sit there 5 minutes waiting for a left turn arrow. More than once I’ve gone straight then and made a U turn at the next intersection to get back to where I needed to go.

Way back in 1967 I was on a date with a girl from Minneapolis. It was pitch black out and we sat and sat at a light waiting for it to change. No other cars around. She said just go through it, there are a lot of lights like that up here. So I did and flashing lights from the police car parked in the dark. I said sorry, she said to go through it because it was probably not working. He snickered and let me go. I still feel guilty about blaming it on her but now I don’t listen to people trying to tell me how to drive.

Speaking of sensors.... There have been times ( plural ) where I was the only truck at the light...waiting...waiting....waiting....had to back up a few car lengths then pull foreward again...THEN the light changed for me !
In my home state (and many others) there are legal provisions for how to handle a "malfunctioning" traffic light. Originally meant for (two-wheeled) vehicles too light to "trip" a light, it ought to apply in your case.

In any event, sitting at a light, in the dark, for several minutes--and waiting to be rear-ended--is both onerous and manifestly unsafe...and I would run that light, in the interests of safety, when able to do so.

@Bing I agree completely with you

Usually, the people trying to influence somebody else’s driving behaviour are aggressive, impatient and reckless drivers

In fact, they’re usually aggressive, impatient, and reckless in all aspects of their lives

There is one light that I go through daily that still uses a loop sensor. Once in a while it will fail to trip the light, so I back up a few feet and try again. It works as long as no one is behind me. Creeping doesn’t seem to help.

The overhead sensors sometimes fail when it is very foggy.

The cameras or whatever we use around here(look like cameras) can be fooled when the sun shines in them and sometimes people wont be sitting in the right spot for the sensor to notice them(Had to have a Lady pull up yesterday,so the camera would see her) they dont use ground loops here much any more snow and ice would stop them from working sometimes.I guess the aerial sensors are the norm now,I dont know how the post mounted lights are actuated,I will be honest as a truck driver,I do not like smart lights,because the old timed lights when sychronized would let you roll on through,you never know when a smart light will trip,just my thoughts anyway.
An after thought,sometimes there are too many dang lights.