I want your butt's educated opinion!

I’d suggest stopping at the local bookstore and getteing a Consumre Reports Used Car Buyers’ Guide. Your list is long, and that’ll be IMHO the best overall comparative “snapshot” of the various cars. And it is, I believe, as comprehensive and objective as is available.

Let me also suggest in your search you add to the list, the standard minivans from Chrysler, Honda and Toyota. The sliding doors and comfortable seats should make the overall comfort level, as good as any car on the list if you don’t consider ride comfort alone. On second thought, it should have been my first suggestion. Used minis from Chrysler should be easiest to find in your price range.

This is Zack44; just have to add my 2 cents on the Lincoln/Ford Crown Vic/ Mercury Grand Marquis. I had a 94 Crown Vic(new) for 245,000 miles(gave it away finally), have a 2003 Grand Marquis at 170,000 now, and have a 2004 Merc Marauder at 70,000. Gas mileage low to mid 20s town, mid to high 20s highway. Never a problem with engine, brakes or rear air suspension. I’d look for any with the six way power seats (both sides are available as option) with lumbar support FRONT seats THEN get the the “prescription” neede for heavy tinted front windows. Any auto trim shop can do that. Ask your state license bureau on the exact procedure. Such heavy tint came on my 2004 so I know about the state “prescription” requirement. Cheaper than getting a Lincoln. All other folks are correct that all 3 models are the same basic car, Lincoln is a few inches longer in back. And 7,000 should get a nice one with lots of life yet. They are abouy “bulletproof” and no bugs left in them .

Since your wife rides in the back, I assume that she has problems with on-coming headlights and not the lights of following cars. If that’s true, then you are limited with tinting options. The windshield and front side windows can’t be tinted as much as the rear windows can in many places; maybe all places. Does she wear dark glasses to shield her from the light? That’s a cheap and sure alternative. I would go for the newest car, or at least the one in the best condition that meets your needs. Any older car, even the reliable ones, can be a mess if poorly taken car of. Sitting higher, like in a minivan or SUV, can also help with headlights.

Older BMW 7 series cars can be had for a song, and the models with the extended wheelbase have enough room in the back seat for a square dance. These cars ride better than most anything on the road, have great seat support and will easily give you 200K+ miles if properly maintained.

Cars on your list that don’t meet your preferences (IMHO):

Passat
Audi Avant
PT Cruiser
Saturn Vue
Ford Escape

“Older BMW 7 series cars can be had for a song,”…

There is a good reason for that…