I want a sports car!

Here’s one other plus for the Miata - you can drive it like a sports car (full throttle, shift near the redline, etc) and not rack up tickets. Try that with a Corvette, etc! The most fun I’ve had with a car was my '83 VW GTI, I could drive the heck out of it without a problem. It’s way more fun driving that way, than having to drive a 300 hp rocket gently.

If I fit in a Miata, I’d have bought one years ago. Not even close, unfortunately.

If you are interested in a Crossfire, take a look at the MB SLK230 or SLK320. You should find 2002 or earlier cars for under $10,000. Well, 2002 for the SLK230 at least. The Crossfire was based on the SLK, but not quite as well appointed.

$14,000 for a C4 Vette is ludicrously expensive. Most C4’s for sale around here top out around $10k for a creampuff garage queen. I could see spending $15-$20k on a ZR1, but not a run of the mill LT1 powered car.

Now We’re Talk’n ! Get A Mustang Or Vette. I’d Stay Away From These Little Asian Cars, Whatever They All Are. Vettes Are A 57 Year Legend And Mustangs A 46 Year Legend.

Not many sports cars can make that claim. They are known and envied the world over.

I wouldn’t know a Toyota from A Honda if I saw one and I don’t think they’re on their way to a place in the Automotive Hall Of Fame. Miatas are “Chick’s Cars”. We’ve had this discussion before.

Do it right. Go all out.

CSA

Based on everything in the thread, I’ll vote for the Miata. It has the toss-around fun factor of an MGB with the technology, reliability, and affordability of a Mazda.

Based on my son’s experience with BMWs. the Z-3 would be much more expensive to support.
The Crossfire or MB would not have Miata reliability, although I like the crossfire aesthetically.
A coworker has an S2000. He’s had it for a few years now. Great sports car, world class, but zero utility value. Virtually no trunk whatsoever.
Although I suggested the Sky and think it’s one of the best looking sports cars on the road, it would fetch a higher price, beyond the $10K goal.
'Vettes…there’s nothing I can add that isn’t already well known.

There is one that I’ve driven (not owned) that I always felt was underappreciated…the Honda Civic DelSol. It’s basically a Civic in sports car disguise, with a removable hardtop. If you can find one of those in good shape it just might fill the bill.

I guess the Celica GT isn’t a sports car since it doesn’t have RWD. It came with AWD.

In my very humble opinion, a car can be a sports car if it has AWD.

Celica GT was quite a nice sports car. It doesn’t have to be RWD if done right, and the Celica was.

[b]"I guess the Celica GT isn’t a sports car since it doesn’t have RWD. It came with AWD.

In my very humble opinion, a car can be a sports car if it has AWD."[/b]

I had forgotten they made an AWD model…my humble apologies.

I’m a big, Celica fan, but in fwd, it’s just a good two person runabout with good manners and good mainstream fun. But a sports car in FWD…yikes, I have my standards, as low as they often are about other things.

I love my '80 Corvette. After working on foreign sports cars for 36 years, the vette is easy. Also,I’m on my fourth BMW. I am a certified BMW mechanic. I think they are easy cars to work on, compared to everything else out there. I don’t think the parts prices are too high ,especially if the parts are bought On-line.Labor times are lower than most cars, you just have to find a good shop in your area, if the dealer rates are too high. A Z-3 is next on my list. If I was to buy something else,besides another Bimmer, it would be a Miata.Go to an SCCA race.

I’ve never seen a two tone miata.

I do believe they made an RWD Celica, but this was back in the 80s. The GT-S I believe.
They are pretty popular with the drifter crowd, so they might be asking more than what it’s really worth.

My original response to Whitey was…“if it’s FWD”, they did make them front, rwd and awd and “if it’s FWD” it leaves a lot to be desired.

HAVE MORE FUN AND SPEND YOUR $9k ON A MIATA. You’ll get more car for the money and a lot less maintenance headaches. I have a '94 R version Miata with less than 100K miles and it is a joy to drive top down.

Just to throw something different out there…how about a late 90’s Eclipse/Talon? I had a 98 Eclipse GSX (AWD,turbo) that would run with GTs,Z28s,and would leave Z3s and Miatas in the dust.

My experience has been that people who dismiss Miatas as “chick’s cars” have never driven one, and therefore have no real basis for that statement.

For the record, I sold my fully-restored '68 Fastback Mustang (with a heavily modified 289) because it was just sitting in my garage collecting dust. Reason? I bought a Miata. The little roadster is that much more fun to drive.

I autocross the Miata. Could’ve tried that in the Mustang but wouldn’t have had anywhere near as much fun sliding around in a 40 year old sedan that handles, by comparison, like a pig.

Do you have any idea what the most commonly raced car in America is? The lowly Miata. Perfect handling, sufficient power, and reliable as gravity. And truly a car you can “go all out” in on the street without attracting all the wrong kinds of attention.

The ridiculously low cost and incredible reliability make it a common-sense decision to drive one, but that’s not what’s made it the most popular sports car in America. It’s just a freaking hoot to drive. Check out your local SCCA autocross and snag a ride as a passenger (most Miata drivers are glad to share the experience). If it doesn’t change your attitude, you’re probably dead.

Thanks For The Reply. Unfortunately, I Have No Local SCCA Autocross Within A Few Hundred Miles And No Toyota Or Other Foreign Car Dealers Within About 150 Miles.

The Miatas I see on the Expressway when I travel are invariably piloted by women. I think it’s the “reliable as gravity” and the " . . . truly a car you can “go all out” in on the street without attracting all the wrong kinds of attention . . ." and the " ridiculously low cost" that attracts them.

Most males I know get a kick out of gut-wrenching, tire burning performance and don’t mind constantly tweaking imperfect reliability. The American part of America’s legendary sports cars does it for me, too. Foreign cars, not so much. Whatever floats your boat.

CSA

Didn’t those AWD DSM cars have something like eight CV joints?

I have a '95 trans am convertable that is for sale at 8,500. It is unfortunatley an automatic but the thing is fast. With its flowmaster exhaust, corvette rims and lt1 corvette engine it will overcome all your midlife crisis problems. Prestine black paint, leather interior. Nice…

RX-7, RX-8 Z-3’s have some serious problems with the rear sub-frame cracking…

I think the Camaro is better than this car. However, seems to be a good idea to have a car made in US. The Japanese cars are still not very powerful and safe. asigurare rca ieftin