I think someone charged my elderly father too much for a repair

I am going to add that as one gets older, time becomes more valuable. So, maybe shopping around for another shop and a better deal and then not knowing if the work would be done properly without the need for going back is all extra time wasted and some would not want to deal with that.

I guess I was too nice when I said ‘the shop was fine’. They may have been a bit high, but IF the work was needed, I don’t think they ripped him off.

This all changes if the work wasn’t needed, but we’ll never know that, now will we?

If anyone hasn’t noticed it’s gotten very very hard to operate a small business any more. Tons of regulations, forms, insurance, banking issues, and now bathrooms to contend with. Not to mention competition from dealers and quick lubes, and equipment investment. I don’t fault anyone for getting out when you calculate the hours required and the profits and look at what can be made just working for someone else. What have we wrought? And heaven help anyone that happens to own a former gas station.

What bathrooms?? I take it you’ve never worked for or owned a small business. Most I worked at had ONE UNISEX bathroom.

Here in Silicon Valley the biggest obstacle to starting a technology business is the intellectual property law and associated lawyers. It used to be the case 20-30 years ago companies would obtain a few patents for a product, and only the most important principles that made the product unique. The rest, and the most important information profit-wise, was considered a trade-secret & kept out of public view, so never patented. Now tech companies are constantly engaging in patent wars, and they think if they have more patents than their competition, they’ll have more ammunition when the inevitable patent war breaks out. To start a business here these days it just costs too much to hire all the patent lawyers and get all the patents you need to protect yourself. If you don’t hire enough of them, and if you actually succeed with a good product to bring to the market, you’ll soon be looking down the barrel of a patent-lawyer’s legal weapon, the patent infringement lawsuit.

Bathrooms here in Silicon Valley aren’t much of a problem though. I can’t say I’ve ever heard anyone complain about any bathroom attendence problem in 30 years.

How do I ask why you changed without hijacking this thread?
I often talk to youth about entering the automotive field, and am curious about your situation

Well, it’s still automotive related I guess.

I was the manager where I worked, just a small neighborhood operation, but long-established. The owner was eyeing retirement so 8 years ago I bought the business from him, but the land was leased. My wife is successful in her career in human resources, she was the Director of Employment at a local private university. So we were set in our careers. Last year she got a job offer from a large university in another state. A good career move, and effectively doubling her salary. Couple that with a cranky landlord who was still undecided about renewing my land lease in 2017 meaning that I might have to move a business or close. Sold the business to the next in line and the future is now his problem.

To keep things related to this thread, keep in mind that all these “high prices” are needed for shop owners to keep top-quality talented people on the payroll. Next time you take a look at your local neighborhood garage remember it’s possible that the #1 mechanic there takes home a bigger paycheck than the owner.

Thanks @asemaster. Glad it worked out for you.

Back to this thread, I agree with all the previous replies. If the work was done correctly, there’s nothing in the price to indicate @tennisalley’s father got ripped off.

DID they put in new parts? Can use see them? Mechanics sometimes claim to replace parts and do not. I am not saying ALL mechanics.

“Mechanics sometimes claim to replace parts and do not.”

Those aren’t mechanics! They’re scamming crooks!
They can give some people a tarnished image of true mechanics. Not me.
CSA