I screwed up - what do I do?

Yep the nice thing about the Morris I had is that I could push it all by myself. It was fun though. I don’t want to give any secrets away but one of the bank security questions is your first car. When I answer I often get the response of what’s that?

Bank security question is your first car? LOL… I can only imagine what a team of psychologists dreamed up for this…

You say your first car was a Cadillac Hearse? Hmmm…I see… Wonder what label that one produces on the computer. Anti-Social with delusions of grandeur ? HIGH RISK!!

hahaha

Blackbird

You call them up, they don’t know its me even though the caller ID says its me. They ask what my first car was and if I said a hearse instead of a Morris, they’d hang up on me. Three wrong answers and I’d have to go down there with my birth certificate and passport to prove who I was. Gotta admit its better than mother’s maiden name or something that hackers can easily find out. Now how the heck would anyone not on Car Talk figure out my first car?

Have you looked at the forums dedicated to these cars? I know the Mustang has a HUGE following and many forums dedicated to it. You might ask them how your current car can be modified more to your liking. One of my friends used to be big into modifying Mustangs of all types and there are magazines and books dedicated to these cars.

Also, was the dealer you bought it from shady and pushy or pretty easy to work with? If shady, you might go elsewhere. If you liked them, go back and explain your situation but tell them the current car runs great and has low miles (basically new) and that you are not in any hurry to get rid of it if the right deal doesn’t come along. These guys want to make a sale and might try to pull some strings to make it happen.

I also agree that you might end up liking the more nimble feel of the current car better, especially in situations where cornering, etc. are more important than acceleration.

Remember the old muscle cars? They were great for leaving a quart inch of rubber on the road and taking off in a straight line. Turning??? Not so much! Sure, even the biggest heaviest car is going to handle better than something from the 1960’-70’s but it is still something to consider.

If you really want to go nuts with power, get a Dodge Hellcat.

This Turbo4 Mustang has A TON of Horsepower potential…as it with no major internal hardware upgrades needed. I mean it has forged pistons…Steel Rods and Crank…etc…its a pretty solid platform for big Hp gains. He could easily see 400+ Hp…with very simple mods, ECU Tune and perhaps an exhaust… Above that number he will need to graduate to a larger Turbo…but his current hardware is able to make quite a leap in performance without major hardware needed. Plenty of site and video’s on the subject out there right now.

All this may be a Moot Point however…because if he is looking for V8 sound…there really is no substitute I’m afraid. Oh well…wonder what the OP decides to do…PLENTY of options…and options are a Good Thing in my book

Blackbird

I wouldn’t recommend any such changes, as long as the car is under warranty

Some of those modifications would void the warranty, no doubt about it

Honda Blackbird: As you stated there is no substitute for a loud V8 sound. (tongue in cheek). OP could download the Beach boy’s “409” and create a loop of the first few seconds. Load it on a USB drive and play it full volume when they drive. I never had a 409 but did have a 1960 Impala with a tri power 348 cu in 330 hp. It sounded pretty good.

db4690: I’m with you. I would never performance modify a new car and void the warranty. After warranty expires? Anything goes!

I wouldn’t recommend extreme modifications even after the warranty expires, the cost of replacing a failed engine will be no different.

@sgtrock21 These days, some car companies won’t void your warranty if you modify your new car so long as you buy their stuff. For example If you buy a Ford Racing catback exhaust for your Mustang or Focus ST/RS and have the dealer install it, your warranty is uneffected. Ford even sells handheld tuners for the Ecoboost Focus/Fiesta that will not void your warranty.

Chevrolet is even extending warranty coverage to Camaros that are raced on a track

I tend to avoid debt and would never consider financing a toy and anything beyond adequate transportation is a toy. Save the full price of the car you want and then see if you think it’s worth wrting a check for it.

Rod Knox I understand and appreciate your point of view. But several years ago I purchased ( OK financed ) a Corvette convertible and used it to commute and take weekend drives. Practical , not at all, but we really enjoyed it.

Over the years there have been many friends and acquaintences who have found themselves slaves to debts for all manner of extravagances that in looking back they regretted buying. But of course for every person who lets themself become buried in regrets and debts there are several others who were smart enough to recognize their limits and remain within them while enjoying some nice things. I guess I prefer to live well within my means and enjoy the freedom of doing so and suggest that others might find it a good policy. The current interest rates certainly do make financing appealing. When I was younger it would have been difficult to pass up an opportunity to buy a new 'Vette.

@FoDaddy, does that Ecboost chip tuner work on the Mustang, too? It seems like the Mustang would be a more likely candidate for this accessory.

@jtsanders Ford does not offer one for the Ecoboost Mustang yet. I would be surprised if the didn’t offer one eventually though.

This is what they have for the Focus

Sarge ,what did you do with it? ,I want a canary yellow 60 Impala ragtop ( W engine or SBC,either engine is great ,have an acquaintance that had one,( a 283 punched out to 301(she would sing )

kmccune: What I did with far to many toys I would love to have now. I bought it in 1969 for $300 and about 3 months later someone offered me $450. At that time 1958-1961 Impalas were not considered desirable (cool). A cool 1962 409 4 speed would have been $1,000+. The 1960 was a 2 door hard top sports roof “suntan” (copper) with white roof and side trim, 3 speed M/T with Hurst shifter. It was in surprisingly good condition.

Wow ,I kinda liked the coppertone.I liked the more subdued stying on the 60 model and the bullet tailights,the styling on the 59 was to busy for me . Thanks for replying .

Having read the advice on the first page to wait a year or so, I don’t think there is any harm in putting a “for sale” sign in the car’s window where it can be seen and putting an ad on Craig’s List.

If someone comes along who is willing to pay the price you want for the car, you get an out. If no leads come from this, all you’ve lost is the cost of a “for sale” sign (unless you want to make your own).