I own a government motor

I have a 99 S10 blazer. It has 113,000 miles. It has several problems. It has the red air bag light on and the code comes up as crash sensor short. It also has I miss fire but no check engine light. It’s not a constant miss. You will feel it at an idle. Please help

It’s had a tune up and fuel pump

@Concreteman26 the motor mounts on those 4.3 engines tend to break down after several years. What will happen is that the rubber will separate from the metal “backing plate.” Bad motor mounts contribute to a rough idle, which is sometimes interpreted as a misfire.

You have the CSFI fuel injection system. The poppet nozzles sometimes get partially plugged.

I have a factory Blazer service manual. If you can get me the exact airbag fault code, I might be able to help.

Check for stored fault codes. If there are any, post them.

What’s a government motor? Rocketman

@rocketman Government Motors was the nickname for General Motors, during bankruptcy. Without the help of the Canadian and US goverments, there would be no GM today. Both governemts still own a very substantial share of GM.

In spite of all that, GM still has not lost its arrogance.

Thanks Doc!

I have a 2000 S-10 pickup with the 4.3L engine and was having similar problems as you describe. I would have to assume that Several problems happened all at once and all contributed to this issue.

My fuel pump was failing and I needed a tune-up badly at around 80k. The fuel sending unit had broken and I ended up running the truck out of gas a few times and running it very low quite a few times before I realized what was going on. My gas mileage was also suffering horribly so my estimates as to how often I needed to fill up were way off based on normal MPG. This contributed to the running out of gas situations. Either way, I think this fried the fuel pump.

I had the fuel pump replaced at a shop and I did all the tune-up stuff myself. Mice had almost eaten through a couple of the plug wires. The truck still ran crappy and had bad MPG although it was better than before. It felt like I was getting misfires pretty often, especially when cold. I did get codes for these some of the time but it was usually a “random misfire” and not confined to one cylinder. I replaced the ignition coil and this issue went away although I still felt misfire and hesitation from time to time. I decided to replace the O2 sensors and the truck suddenly ran like new again and the MPG returned to normal. There were no stored or pending codes because of this but the sensors were obviously failing. I understand they last until 80-100k and should be replaced as routine maintenance at this point.

Anyway, I feel these 4.3L engines are solid and reliable if you maintain them. This is a tried and true design and can take lots more abuse than most engines nowadays.

“What’s a government motor?”

I thought he meant it took a lot of his money and was still dysfunctional. :slight_smile:

" I thought he meant it took a lot of his money and was still dysfunctional. :slight_smile: "

Joe, That’s exactly what I was thinking !
CSA

If I’m not mistaken, when Obama as the “CEO” of general motors it became one of the most successful car companies world wide, saving thousands of jobs. Funny how inconvenient the truth is when it comes time to slam the govt. ( which they do occasionally deserve, but NOT this time)

@dagosa I have to agree that firing Rick Wagoner, and forcing GM to downsize and get rid of redundant and money-losing divisions, put them on a more solid footing. If Obama did that, my hat off to him. However, the shares are still only worth about half of what they should be. So, Canadian and US taxpayers are still out of pocket for saving those precious union jobs. While the Detroit 3 were having all these difficulties (caused by poor management, product quality, high wage cost), nearly all foreign carmakers in the US EXPANDED their production facilities; Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes.

Some experts will argue that if GM and Chryler had been allowed to go out of business, those others, including Ford would have bought up the assets, and expanded US production. The only difference being fewer Union jobs and more production in the South. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

In the seventies the unions complained about “cheap imports”. Then those manufacturers started making cars in the US and their sales increased because of the better value perceived by customers. The same thing happened in Australia, Canada and Britain, where local manufacturers lost out to foreign makers setting up business there. Toyota Canada now even makes a unique Lexus model there for sale to JAPAN and other export markets.