I Need Your Wagon Suggestion

The Audi R10 is a racecar, The 335d is a family sedan, and the X5 is a wannabe off-roader.

Youngtimer,

2009 Volkswagen Sportwagen, TDI, 6speed manual transmission, panoramic sun roof, all around airbags (rear as well), fog light kit, 17" Avignon rims in Blue Graphite officially on order. Estimated wait time: 4 weeks.

Yipee!!

“Just drove the Jetta Sportwagen. I think I’m in love.
HUGE cargo area, ample backseat (not great, but good). Comfy, sporty,
lots of low end torque (fun in the bends), and it is CLEAN DIESEL!”

As if we didn’t know with a handle like “volkswagonguy” and “I love German engineering”.
You came to this debate already convinced…
Still, it’s a great car and you can’t go wrong IMO…enjoy.

I would also have to question the assessment above after having driven a BMW 320d, VW Golf TDI, A4 TDI, A3 TDI and an A8 Diesel each in excess of 120 MPH on the Autobahn. Far from a lack of sportiness.

Fast doesn’t necessarily equal sporty. I have 1974 Triumph TR6, it’s far more sporty than any of the vehicles you’ve listed. In my opinion anyway. The BMW and Audi are sedans. The A4, A3, and Golf are primarily front wheel drive. There is no such thing as front wheel drive sports car. How’s the top end power on those oil burners? Can you rev them over 4000 RPM? I’m not saying diesels don’t have their virtues, just that they are not ideal for a sports car.

“The Audi R10 is a racecar,”

Duh. I guess it must be pretty sporty, huh?

“The 335d is a family sedan”

With 265HP and 465 lb-ft of torque! Not to mention that it handles like every other 335 those Bavarians build. Or aren’t the 335i and 335 iDrive sedans “sporty”?

“the X5 is a wannabe off-roader”

I think of it more as a “sporty” version of an on-road SUV, with the same stump-pulling 465 lb-ft to get you off that light in a flash.

Golly, gee-willakers, FauxDaddy! If they aren’t “sporty” versions of their own breed, what cars are?

Cal Ripkin was too big to be a shortstop. He couldn’t play on the dirt; he had to play the position on the grass. How could a real shortstop play effectively on the grass? With a rifle arm that still got everyone out. He used his talents to be one of the best fielding shortstops ever. Why can’t cars with diesels use their best features and still retain a sporting character?

BTW, your TR6 is pretty slow, as were almost all of the British sports cars. My Austin America was one of the widest rides I’ve ever been in. And FWD, too. It was every bit as fast as my friend’s Sprite (uh, really slow), and I could bury him on the curves. I just never pulled my foot out off the floorboard. The front wheels pulled the waggling back end out every time. I scared the daylights out a a friend who owned a 400 Firebird convertible with a 4-speed and 4.10 rear and never lost control. Do you suppose that Firebird was a “sporty” car?

“The Audi R10 is a racecar,”

Duh. I guess it must be pretty sporty, huh?

“The 335d is a family sedan”

With 265HP and 465 lb-ft of torque! Not to mention that it handles like every other 335 those Bavarians build. Or aren’t the 335i and 335 iDrive sedans “sporty”?

“the X5 is a wannabe off-roader”

I think of it more as a “sporty” version of an on-road SUV, with the same stump-pulling 465 lb-ft to get you off that light in a flash.

Golly, gee-willakers, FauxDaddy! If they aren’t “sporty” versions of their own breed, what cars are?

====================================================================================

1. They race semi-cabs over in Europe too, A tractor trailer is not a sports car.

2. Funnily enough the 335i twin turbos are faster, and offer a much more flexible powerband.

3. I’d like to see someone try to pull a stump with an X5. The flimsy unibody won’t hold up for long.

4. Sporty versions are them Audi R8 V10 model , the M3 , and the 4.8L X5, although the diesel option in the X5 could be worthwhile

The Firebird was a muscle car, it’s purpose in life was go fast in a straight line. For the record my daily drive is 2003 Mustang with a Kenne Bell blower, it goes fast in a straight line, that’s really all I expect out of it (it does have Sportline springs and Koni ajustable (yellow) struts/shocks, so it does handle well for what it is). I know the TR6 is slow, but it has the key attributes that make up a sports car. 1. it’s rear wheel drive, 2. It has two seats (2+2’s like the 911 or Z car are still count) 3. it’s light. 4. manual transmission 5. It has a low center of gravity

I agree that this depends on your definition of sportiness (also as opposed to being a sports car). The OP was referring to cornering etc. which is more related to suspension (and I would call VW suspensions sporty compared to say a Chevrolet or a Toyota). So for m everyday use I like a car that corners well and has some “zip” (torque). I don’t think the Op intended to classify the Jetta Wagon as a sports car. But if you compare it to the named alternatives in the segment (he test drove the Highlander the day before) you may consider a diesel wagon rather sporty.

Actually, no-

I may be a ‘kraut-o-phile’, but I was really looking to see what other folks suggested- I sure never meant to spark off this debate!- BUT, it is good to see that people are so passionate about what they drive. It brings back a little bit of respect and the recognition that Americans do care about simple pleasures like handling, maneuverability, torque AS WELL as safety- and that we are all not a bunch of mini-van driving, grocery getting, fat & lazy ‘lemmings’- as Americans can be perceived in many parts of the world.

Sure, I may be biased- but definatley was not already ‘convinced’, Dagosa.

I just keep coming back to the fact that VW provides exactly what I’m looking for in autos- safe, reliable (in my experience anyways, with 2 previous VW’s under the belt),
and fun to drive. I have tried to go the other way- believe me- my wife has a Jeep, and most recently a we leased a big 'ol Toyota Tundra for my business- but I keep coming back to VW’s overall approach to building what I think are (for the most part) just great all around vehicles for the market- the right combination of sport and practicality-45 miles to the gallon practicality!.

I don’t need a ‘sportscar’ and never really asked for one- just something that is simply fun to drive. Yet again, I’ve found it in a VW. This has been a fun thread.
Enjoy the roads out there, folks. And be safe.

Happy holidays!

Can we extrapolate form this that you bought it? May we ask specifics on trim & pricing?

Sure:

2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen, SEL- with panoramic sunroof, rear dual side airbags, fog light kit, manual transmission, TDI, black leatherette seats, in either Blue Graphite or Candy White. Estimated wait time: 4 weeks.

Honda Fit and Suzuki SX4 are the ultimate sports wagons on the market. But they are too small.

Hyundai Elantra Touring is not particularly sporty, but looks like they have better fit and finish than a Toyota these days.

Another somewhat German wagon that fits the description is the Saab 9-3 SportCombi.

Go for the Subaru. The superiority claims of German engineering are greatly overstated, and in most cases not true. And the Subaru costs less to buy.