I need a small camping car to replace Scion xA

If it was between keeping your xA and buying somebody else’s one, I’d keep yours, if it’s been well maintained. Get the speedometer fixed, bring all maintenance up to date, add a roof box (know you’ll take a surprisingly big mpg hit), and keep going.

You can add a roof rack or cargo box to almost anything, the rear hitch racks too.

Several of the Scions are now badged as Toyotas. They just dropped the name, not all of the vehicles.

How long should the xA last before needing big repairs? I mentioned that my 97 Corolla started going radically downhill at 140k.

How many mpg might I lose with a small, aerodynamic roof box? I already have square Thule bars installed for the kayak.

Is there an equivalent of the xA?

The Scion’s that survived to become toyota’s were the iA Sedan (Mazda 2 rebadge), the iM which essentially replaced the Matrix, and the FRS (now using the GT-86 badge)

If the iA had been available with a hatchback instead of a sedan it would be the closest to your current car. The Toyota Yaris does exist as a 5dr hatch but finding one with lower mileage at your budget might be tricky.

Honestly I consider the Yaris an inferior car to the Scion xA. When I bought the xA in 2013 I carefully studied every hatchback on the market and the xA came out on top, especially for reliability. There are quite a few low-mileage Yaris’s available in my price range.

I’m surprised to see that the Honda Fit’s reliability has fallen to 3.5 stars in some professional reviews—below the xA.

Have you looked into the Toyota iM? It’s about $20k new.

I agree with the Corolla iM recommendation. If it is too big, look at the Yaris. I can tell you from personal experience that the Yaris is small, though. I believe the iM was first available in 2017. You might find some 2017s still on the dealer’s lot.

Am looking for a used hatchback up to $7000 with ample space with back seat folded down.

The Mazda 5 is one that i’ve wondered about, you can get one for around $7,000, a co-worker has had one for 10 years and has passed 200,000 miles with minimal repairs and servicing. Won’t get the same mileage as the Xa but with all the seats folded you’d have a fair amount of room. Looks like a van with the sliding side doors but it’s worked out well for the owners I know. Merely a suggestion.

The Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe are previous versions of the Corolla wagon. Both were built on the same assembly line with almost all the same components.

1 Like