I’m losing interest in cars these days

OMG, they’re really going to try to sell that thing?

Oh well, to quote H. L. Menken, “Nobody ever went bankrupt underestimating the taste of the American public.” :rofl:

1 Like

The “retro” stying started with the 2005 Mustangs. Since then Ford has been going with evolutionary rather than revolutionary styling changes. Except for the Pony emblem, new Mustangs show no similarities with 60s Mustangs.

1 Like

In what way is this a truck? It appears to be a sedan with a small bed on the back. . .much like the useless Cadillac Escalade Pickup. None of which will you find at the local hardware store/lumber yard picking up a load of plywood. Like the Escalade, this is not a truck, it’s an expensive toy. Remember the Lincoln Pickup?

The Lincoln pickup was an upgraded F150, saw a few. Now if you want the Lincoln equivalent to just choose an upper trim level.

Just like most pick up truck and Jeep owners nowadays, those people will join the ranks of posers… It will fit in very nice with there huge home on a postage stamp lot and never carry a thing in it…

(that made way more since in my head, but you get the point, maybe… lol)

2 Likes

Once again, I will mention the experiences of a friend, whose co-workers all seem to drive big pickups. Every time that he got a ride home from work with one of those guys, he tried to put his duffle bag in the cargo box, only to be told that “NOTHING goes back there”.

Yup!
Poseurs, par excellence…

4 Likes
   A demonstration of my age; trucks do not have televisions in the dashboard.  My first had a three-on-the-tree, the second a 4 in the floor.  No power windows, AC, no computers. They were actually work trucks meant to get dirty with the occasional job-related dent.  I was not in construction or a mechanic, but my trucks were used for weekend warrior car work or carrying loads of manure for the yard or garden.

In the ‘had I only known’ category, or ‘I wish category’ my dad had kept our 1946 Chevy pickup, the ventilation was provided by cranking the windshield open.

1 Like

The great masses of “Teslastans” . . . unfortunately, that’s a real term . . . will be 100% incapable of seeing any weaknesses whatsoever :roll_eyes:

They’ll see it as the best thing since sliced bread :laughing:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just my lack of skill but flat sheet metal panels are hard to repair versus those with crowns and sharp bends. Maybe these are just fiberglass.

Concept vehicles frequently look quite different from the actual production vehicle that the public can buy. This has proven to be the case innumerable times over the years.
In fact, I have it on good authority that the new Tesla truck is going to look like this:

:wink:

Those flat panels will drum like a full Ludwig set and have no rigidity.

They need some crown or curve to them. The pictures of the actual truck look like they have some crown.

It looks like a pinewood derby car to me, too.

2 Likes

Please don’t measure modern car design based on the Cybertruck. That monstrosity looks like it was designed using a CAD program from 1984.

1 Like

It could never look as good as that Studebaker Champ, in spite of its Dodge source bed.

2 Likes

I drive a Tesla Model 3 and I think the Cybertruck is ugly. Am I an infidel?

2 Likes

You can’t generalize - I don’t think it’s possible to like (or dislike) both ford and Toyota at the same time. I love new Toyota designs but I love the old ones with very few exceptions. As far as hybrid goes, majority of taxi in New York are Toyota hybrids, and they last 300-400,000 miles in the worst possible use. Also, hybrids not only consume less gas - it can be argued if the price difference is justified - but also give virtually instant torque and increased power. I love both of my 4Runners but I also dearly love my 2021 Rav4 Hybrid. And finally, you don’t have to replace the entire battery - individual cells are replaceable and are reasonably cheap. With 10 y/150,000mi Toyota battery warranty, it’s not a gamble. Just think what some 10yo with 150,000 miford, dodge, chevy, vw, etc. are worth and how much money the owners dumped into repairs over the years…

1 Like

I guess I wasn’t clear enough earlier

That was my mistake :frowning_face:

Teslastans seem to be the ones that are absolutely fanatic and can see no evil, so to speak

That doesn’t seem to describe you :+1:

3 Likes

Occasionally see a Rivian pickup, okay, I don’t care for the headlight design, but that is just me.
I am still in the camp that is annoyed with Ford naming one of their electric SUVs a Mustang. I like the vehicle but hate they call it a Mustang! Why not Galaxy, that name is associated with Ford, but has not been used in many, many years!

2 Likes

I think the Rivian pickup is 100 times better looking, compared to the Tesla cyber “truck”

3 Likes

I was just having fun. No offense taken.

1 Like