I’m losing interest in cars these days

The electric steering systems in my cars (I’ve had 3) drive exactly like “normal” cars.

Add a 4th… walking the crossing while texting!

4 Likes

2005 Chevy Malibu, an early foray for them into EPS(electric power steering). No road feel through the wheel, and the steering wheel felt very light and game-like. Also, the car pulled left for as long as I drove it, despite numerous alignments.

2013 Hyundai Sonata - At speeds over 50mph or on highways, the wheel would stick, forcing me to overcorrect. Making the car very difficult to keep centered in my lane. The 2011-13 Sonata steering issues are some of the most heavily documented and discussed of the last decade or so.

2015 Elantra - Used EPS components similar to those used in contemporary Sonatas, but seemed to have less of the drifting/ binding issues.

2020 Chevrolet Malibu. This had the most weighted, as close to ‘normal car’ feeling, of any of these EPS-equipped machines.

Tire pressures in all of the above were maintained from 0 to 1psi above vehicle door frame placard values.

Still, I would prefer the conventional(hydraulic) PS of my cars from the '80s or '90s, or my 2010 Honda Accord, over any of the examples I provided. Conventional is tried and true, been around for decades, and I don’t care about the ‘fuel saving’ aspects of electric PS.

So there, VDC, just in case you think I’m foxin’.(lying!)

I have to go look under the hood sometimes cause I don’t remember if my 09 Vibe/Matrix has electric steering or not, and yes it does, there is no difference in it and the 06 Corolla I had at the same time, I could drive one and swap and go drive the other and they drove the same… And I drive fast… lol

Now a drive by wire (throttle body) with a manual transmission is what I have issues with, I don’t need the computer trying to guess what I am doing when taking off, let me handle the throttle commands…

Just in case our tire-whispering friend wants some input from actual car experts, he can learn about the reality of a well-designed modern electrical PS system:

I read that article closer to when it was published. and I understand the effects of the basic alignment angles on steering feel and handling.

VDC: If you look at the history of EPS cars I drove, you will see gradual improvement by model year.

One theory of mine, which by the way has precedence with the hydraulic assist particularly on some domestic cars of the 1970s, is that early on in the EPS era, the assist provided was disproportionate to amount of assist the average driver needs.

In English? over-boosted! This in fact was the case with the power steering on many late 1960s-early 1970s cars, where jokes were tossed around about being able to steer the car with just a pinky finger, or by blowing on the steering wheel, lol!

Yes, as much as the hydraulic power steering was over-boosted on many cars from the Nixon-Carter eras, so is it possible for the same mistake being made with electric power assist, particularly on cars from the late 2000s to early 2010s, when EPS began to overtake conventional steering big time.

Thankfully, I think designers have learned their lessons, and some ‘weight’ is coming back to passenger vehicle steering. Many newer models also have available drive modes, or steering modes(Comfort, Sport, etc.) where one can dial in their preferred feel, via a press of a button, or via the menus on the infotainment screens on modern cars.

I’d like a new Camry awd but I don’t think you can get a v6 w/awd.
Or an Audi rs sedan. Till warranty expired.
My 03 vue has elec steering. As does my 07 equinox

Yup!
And, if you drove my 2022 car, you would find that it is not over-boosted, it is incredibly precise, and it actually provides very good feedback through the wheel. It’s far superior–in every way to the hydraulic PS in my previous car.

The bottom line is that mechanical and electronic devices evolve and become better over the years.

1 Like

I am biased, though:

I prefer a heavier weight steering, and a steering wheel that self-centers fast. The old “BMW feel” so many '90s models were famous for.

And I do understand that either less EPS assist, higher alignment angles, or some combination of both can bring back that feel.

Yes, I’m aware of that, as evidenced by your earlier statements regarding tire inflation.

You insisted that I was posting misinformation. To your credit, you later conceded that you were the one who was posting misinformation. Clearly, personal bias constitutes a large part of your “facts”.

2 Likes

I think this goes back to what you quoted CapriRacer saying about tire over-inflation(3-5psi being ok) vs what I said about that(1-2psi over cold).

Was that his scientific finding, or his opinion?

In the 22 plus years since I stopped being a Mibbie, inflating tires to their maximum value, and started maintaining door pillar placard pressures in my cars, I have been more than satisfied with the steering, acceleration, braking, and other drivability aspects of them, plus the ride quality.

And this is regardless of how loaded or light the cars were.

So if I’m posting “mis-info” by recommending never exceeding door placard cold tire pressure by more than 1-2psi, then so are many tire makers, including racing providers Pirelli!

… and I am only satisfied if I maintain 3 or 4 psi over the vehicle mfr’s specified pressures.

Vive la différence!

1 Like

If I maintain even 2psi over in my specific car, a 2010 Honda, two things begin to happen:

Ride becomes too stiff, and the steering, what with my 50-series low profile tires, becomes too light and darty!

In my case, I think the engineers at Honda knew better than me what cold tire pressure was good for it. I did not always possess such humility about different subjects.

2psi? Really? I’d seriously doubt you could feel any difference what-so-ever. If that were the case then you’d feel a difference when temps change just 20 degrees in either direction.

2 Likes

Mike:

It’s my car,

my seat,

my butt,

and HONDA’s specs.

Your mileage may vary.

Yup!
He has his mind made-up, so please don’t try to confuse him with facts, Mike.
:wink:

7 Likes

These are just two examples of the refutation I face from folks on a variety of subjects.

You should hear what the morons on Facebook insist regarding Daylight “Saving” Time:

That it “lengthens the days”, etc.

Well guess what:

The total front axle capacity of my 225-50R17 tires = 2668lbs at 32psi cold. That’s 111% of the front GAWR(Gross(MAX) axle weight) rating, 2403lbs. And 2668lbs capacity at 32psi = 129% of the rear GAWR rating, 2061lbs.

So no need to inflate my Honda’s tires more than even ONE PSI over that 32psi cold door placard spec. And the car rides and handles just fine.

“FACTS”…!

I wonder if he is kin to the\\ SNOWMAN///. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

December is just around the corner :smiley:

3 Likes

He drives an old Opel Rekord?
I wonder how easy it is for him to get parts.
:wink:

1 Like

What does that have to do with anything.

Probably does. But that doesn’t prove anything. 2psi difference tire pressure is miniscule. Very difficult to feel any difference. Good luck though.

1 Like