I like cars but not car dealers

I feel that the average american would stand out, for one simple reason . . .

The average american is quite overweight, versus your average european

I feel I have some credibility, because I worked in shops both in europe and here, in the US. My current coworkers are much heavier AND unhealthier, versus my coworkers in europe

I resemble that remark. Though my European relatives all seem to be a bit on the heavier side as well. Genetics and a love of food I suppose.

1 Like

Well, let me clarify a bit

Americans tend to be overweight at relatively young ages, whereas europeans tend to not get that way until theyā€™re older

That was the case with my relatives, and most of the folks I worked with, when I was still living there

I certainly didnā€™t see lots of obese teenagers, which is quite common here :neutral_face:

Well I just did some figuring, and it works out that Iā€™ve been gaining an average of 2 pounds per year for the last 25 years. My 6 foot frame carried 200 lbs quite well, 250, well, thereā€™s some work to do.

If fixing cars for a living didnā€™t keep me active all day, my family history and personal habits tell me I would have had a heart attack by now.

I was very familiar with the cloak room in the fourth grade. My desk was in it due to excessive talking.

1 Like

I remember American Indian friends in the 1970s thinking the latest PC label Native Americans was silly as everyone born in North, Central, and South America is a Native American.

1 Like

I had to go to the GM dealer today to get two new key fobs programmed. I guess I was braced for a hefty charge but the total was only $70. I paid $39 for two new OEM fobs on line so I didnā€™t think this was too bad actually for the staff time and use of the computer.

However I knew they would do a multi-point inspection and naturally they advised I have an oil leak at the rear seal or oil pan and also maybe at the front seal. I changed oil two months ago and I havenā€™t lost a drop that I can tell and there is nothing on the garage floor. I donā€™t think they are lying, but maybe exaggerating a little. I dunno. Iā€™ll have a shop take a look anyway. The problem is for both the oil pan and rear seal, the trans has to be separated so its not a real quick and easy job.

Otherwise actually, I was pretty happy with the service.

Does your car have a plastic splash pan?

If so, maybe thatā€™s why there have been no drops in your garage

Sounds like your seals are just seeping/sweating, not outright leaking

Yeah it probably does have the splash shield under there. Iā€™ll just have to have it looked at I guess.

Actually, no, though most people assume that. As I did before I woke up.

There is only one nation in the world whose name includes the word America. Period.

The official name of Mexico is Estados Unidos de Mexico. That is, United States of Mexico. So, they call themselves Mexicans (Mexicanos).

There are different terms people use. If you stop and think about it, there are words that professional mechanics use that are different from what the public uses. That is true for all professions.

Geographers use certain names for continents. Two of them are named XXX America. But, each nation selects its own identity.

Not only do people from most nations on the American continents NOT consider themselves Americans. But, you want to truly offend Mexicans, accuse them of being Central Americans.

The reason only people from the USA are considered to be Americans is because that is the correct name of their nation.

1 Like

I guess another advantage going to the dealer. I just got notified they are giving me 2 more months of Sirius. I donā€™t mind but I wonā€™t pay for it on my car. Just $70 for fob programming and another 2 months. Every time I go in, even for a free recall, I get more radio time.

For sure. Just look at "class pictures " from years ago. Kids were much thinner.

Today, we have seen a reversal of the trend. Old cars were overweight and people were thinner, now cars are more efficient and lighter. Why ? I suppose in direct reponse of having to carry our fat asteroids aroundā€¦" efficiently."

For sure!
About 30 years ago, a VERY old theater on NYā€™s Lower East Side re-opened (after being closed for a long time), and I went there to see a stage show of some kind.
I have absolutely no recollection of what I saw at that theater, but what I have not forgotten was the proportions of the seats.
At the time, I weighed ~140 lbs, and I had to shoehorn myself between the arm rests in order to be seated.
And, even though I am only 5ā€™10", I had my knees jammed up against the seatback in front of me.

Apparently that theater had been built in the late 1890s, and it is very obvious that people were both thinner and shorter in those days.

Well just as an update, I had a couple fobs programmed at the dealer a few weeks ago and in their inspection said I had a bad oil leak at either the rear seal or oil pan. Also a leak in the front seal. So took it to my reliable independent guy and they put it up on the rack. The bad leak is a couple drops. So not sure what to think of the dealer now except I wouldnā€™t have had them do the work without some other verification anyway. Two months and 1000 miles since my oil change and there is no loss of oil at all which seemed to suggest no problem.

So just decided to have the guys schedule spark plugs and alignment as long we were talking. Sheesh. So I guess buyer beware. Maybe I just look stupid.

1 Like